A Handmade Christmas

A Handmade Christmas

As cynical as I know I sound, its clear that Christmas has become a very commercial holiday. Large businesses begin rubbing their hands together and competing for customers months in advance, as UK consumers alone hand over billions of pounds in exchange for gifts, cards, wrapping paper, food and anything and everything else that businessmen and women label as Christmas essentials. Don’t get me wrong, I’m just as guilty as the next person, and if anything, I’m aware that I use Christmas as an excuse to spend, spend and spend some more on treating both myself and my loved ones, as its so easy to do nowadays! Whats not as easy to do though, is to gift handmade items with a more personal touch.

A Handmade Christmas

Last years wreath making materials

I’ve always been someone who appreciates the sentiment behind a gift slightly more than the gift itself. ‘Its the thought that counts’. I think that its really important when giving a gift, to ensure that the recipient knows that you’ve given it with love, that you’ve picked out something especially for them and that thought has gone into it. Theres no better feeling at Christmas than watching someone open their gift from you and knowing that you nailed it.

If you have the time, Christmas crafts can be an amazing way to get into the festive spirit. Not only is making your own cards, gift tags, decorations or even gifts, super fun, but it also makes you feel as though you’ve made so much more effort for a person, and that gives you a lovely warm fuzzy feeling inside!

Here are some of the festive themed things that I like to make at Christmas:

• Gift tags
  • Christmas Cards
  • Christmas Crackers
  • Hampers
  • Bauble Wreaths
  • Sweet Treats
  • Wreaths

A Handmade Christmas

I’d love to hear about any homemade Christmas ideas that any of you guys have in the comments!

1. Emily Isobelle Jane
    December 6, 2017 / 8:18 pm

Girl I love this! I completely agree that christmas is so comercialised its so good to make things and put thought into christmas! Love the reindeer noses! xx

2. December 6, 2017 / 8:31 pm

I totally agree with you about the commercialism. And I love this idea of handmade items and gifts.

• December 6, 2017 / 8:44 pm

Thanks lovely, I really enjoy making them and hopefully people enjoy receiving them!

3. December 6, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Ahhh I love them!! That it so cute 😍

4. December 6, 2017 / 9:39 pm

Love this!! I’ve been handmaking so many decorations this year!!

5. December 6, 2017 / 10:56 pm

These make everything so much more personal – such great ideas ❤

6. December 7, 2017 / 1:54 am

I love everything about Christmas crafts! Receiving a personal gift like that means so much more!

Carly x

7. December 7, 2017 / 2:28 am

Have you seen Kirsty’s home made Christmas on TV? It’s sounds right up your street from this post! It’s all about making home made gifts as I think it’s adds that personal touch! I love the idea of the reindeer noses little gift! My younger sister would love it!

Xo

• December 7, 2017 / 5:13 pm

I watched a few of those last year! I loved watching but there were a lot of things on there that looked a bit technical for me! Haha! They’re so easy to make x

8. December 7, 2017 / 12:15 pm

I love the idea of handmade items but I’ve never done it for Christmas. The reindeer noses are such a good idea 😁

• December 7, 2017 / 5:14 pm

They’re so fun if you have the time! Thanks lovely, I copied it off Pinterest, I can only wish I was that inventive!x

9. December 7, 2017 / 12:49 pm

I love homemade Christmas tree ornaments! These are adorable DIY ideas!

• December 7, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Aw that’s so cute I’d love to try making some if I get the time! Thank you x

10. December 7, 2017 / 5:10 pm

I’d much rather have an handmade Christmas than anything else! I hand made all of my Christmas tree decoration this year and it’s the best it’s ever looked (I find a lot of the supermarkets/ high street stuff) to be really tacky) 💖

• December 7, 2017 / 5:17 pm

Aw that’s amazing that you’ve handmade it all! You’ve put me to shame! I agree that a lot of stuff on the high street can be quite tacky, I end up having to spend a fortune at places like John Lewis and the White company! That’s why I often buy things in the sales after Christmas ready for next year!x

• December 7, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I do the same thing! I’m so bad for it. But it’s better to be prepared 💖

11. December 7, 2017 / 5:17 pm

Hi, I would much rather recive a handmade personalised gift, they mean so much more. I love the reindeer noses fab idea.

12. sara
    December 7, 2017 / 5:18 pm

These all look so cute! Can’t wait to try some of these out

13. December 7, 2017 / 5:33 pm

I love making hampers for Christmas!! Home made gifts are so nice and thoughtful. I just don’t have the time this year with starting uni but I’ve bought loads of cute ribbon, paper etc so I’m going to make a lot of effort wrapping the presents so they look nice. Great post! X

• December 7, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Aw what a great idea, it is time consuming but I’m sure everyone will be super pleased with how much effort you’ve made to wrap things nicely! Its always such a nice touch when people use ribbon and nice paper etc.!x

14. December 7, 2017 / 6:20 pm

Totally agree about the commercialisation. Part of the reason I struggle to get excited about Christmas is that it’s everywhere from September. Such sweet ideas. I love making personalised hampers x

• December 7, 2017 / 6:52 pm

I definitely have to wait until December before I can start getting Christmassy otherwise I get so bored of it! Thanks lovely!x

15. December 8, 2017 / 1:38 am

Reindeer noses! I’m dying! Those are super adorable, I’d be screaming if someone gifts me something like this 😀

16. December 9, 2017 / 6:55 pm

Lovely idea to hand make Christmas stuff – I wish I was as talented as you!!

• December 9, 2017 / 7:05 pm

Aw thats so sweet, its more practise than talent but thank you!x