What 2017 Taught Me

What 2017 Taught Me

I don’t know about anyone else, but for me, 2017 has passed as quickly as the blink of an eye. When one year ends and another begins, I’m left with a strange sense of finality that comes with the clean slate. One of the ways in which we make sure to move forward is by learning from our experiences. These are the biggest of my own 2017 life lessons.

Its Okay to Take a Break

I’m proud of the fact that my first experience of work was at 14 years old. Since then, I’ve always kept myself busy and have enjoyed the independence that comes alongside making my own money. I worked through high-school, college, and my gap year. I worked through my first year of university at UEA and for two years after that. For part of 2017 I worked (full-time) alongside blogging, my OU degree and everything else that comes with life; family, friendships, relationships, etc.

It was draining.

I’ve always been proud of my employment and have strived for an impressive answer to the seemingly constant question ‘so what do you do?‘. Thats not to mention that I’m motivated by money and the freedom it provides. Splashing out on luxuries and investing in both short term and long term savings.

I was told early on in the year that I was being made redundant. Instead of finding alternative employment, I decided that it was the perfect opportunity to take a breakI finally realised that I had bitten off more than I could successfully chew and decided to prioritise my degree and my blog. My ability to do this can be contributed to two things. Firstly that I’m very lucky and have people in my life who have supported me. Secondly, all that saving I did whilst earning has allowed me options. Unlike myself, maybe work isn’t something that you need to give up, maybe its a draining relationship, saying yes to someone who asks too much of you, a hobby that you no longer enjoy, the list goes on. If its getting too much then take a break.

2017

This kind of leads into my next lesson which is to…

Prioritise

I’ve learnt the hard way that its better to give your all to fewer things than to spread yourself thin over many. In the later part of 2017, I was trying to do too much and wound up unhappy and irritable. I felt like I had no time to do anything that I actually wanted to do, as all of my time was already committed to work or education- the things that I’d told myself I had to do. Sometimes its okay to turn down opportunities in order to thrive in other ways.

There’s no point in doing something unless you do it properly.

I’ve also learnt that prioritising career opportunities is really important. I was open to working alongside everything else going on, but I turned down jobs because they weren’t right for me at that time. They were too many hours or too demanding for not enough pay… you get the gist. I’ve now found a job that I’m starting in the new year that is exactly right for me, the hours are on my terms and its something I want to do. Sometimes prioritising yourself and saying no is the only way to allow better opportunities to fall into place.

Regaining Self Worth

By learning the above lesson and allowing myself to say no sometimes, I gained an odd sense of power. There are people in every walk of life, who will take advantage of your willingness to say yes if you let them. These people could be your boss, a friend or relative, the lesson is the same- don’t let them! One day, someone pushed me a little too far and asked too much of me and I said no! It was that easy. I realised that saying yes all this time hadn’t helped me in the slightest. It wasn’t appreciated, I wasn’t paid more, and I didn’t even get so much as thank you. My happiness and my health are more important than a job and the momentary offence of someone who I’ve had to politely turn down. I’m worth more, and so are you.

2017 lesson

Don’t Copy or Compare

I’m a social media addict. Instagram, Facebook and Twitter obviously have their own benefits, but they can also be a catalyst for comparison. Its so important to remember that everyone is different. A picture on Instagram may have 70k likes but you think her dress is hideous!? The one of the cute shoes only has 20 likes!? People have different likes, different interests, different situations and different goals.

Being able to take inspiration from other people online is definitely a benefit. Draw a line: comparing yourself to them is silly and guaranteed to make you think negatively about yourself. People are ready for different things at different stages of their lives. You don’t know their struggles and the less time you spend trying to compare yourself to someone, the more time you have to work on yourself. This year I’ve spent so much time comparing myself to people. People who were in my academic year and have graduated before me and the blogs of people whose sites have been established over years rather than mine which was started a matter of months ago. Its absolutely pointless! Be confident in yourself and your decisions, all you can do is try to continue to improve on yourself.

I know that none of these lessons are exactly groundbreaking. I do hope however, that they help you in the way that they helped me. They’re reminders to put yourself first, to re-evaluate and to make the changes you need to.

1. January 4, 2018 / 7:34 pm

This is such a nice post!!

2. January 4, 2018 / 9:19 pm

This is such a great post! Happy new year! x

3. January 4, 2018 / 10:09 pm

This was such a good read and it was nice to see another persons intake on what they have learned over the last year! Wishing you a prosperous 2018 xx

Laura

4. kindcultureuk
    January 4, 2018 / 11:58 pm

Last year went by so quickly for me too, it’s crazy. I hope you had a lovely New Year’s hun xx

• January 5, 2018 / 8:26 am

Its mad isn’t it! I did thanks, Happy new Year!x

5. January 5, 2018 / 12:26 am

I appreciate and agree with everything in this post. 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

6. January 5, 2018 / 5:34 am

I absolutely love this post, thanks for sharing the things you’ve learned in 2017 and if you can, can you check out my blog at https://beeuniek.wordpress.com/ I hope you like it

7. January 5, 2018 / 8:57 am

Aw I love this post! I can relate to it so much and it’s such a positive post for the start of the year! Feeling very inspired! Xx

Robyn | http://www.littlebobloves.co.uk

• January 5, 2018 / 9:57 am

Aw thank you so much, I’m so glad you were able to relate!x

8. January 5, 2018 / 12:10 pm

These are all such good lessons, and there is definitely a lot I can take from this post! Best of luck with the new job! xx

9. January 5, 2018 / 8:13 pm

I think its great that you are able to take a break and that you have the support to allow you to do so. That is truly a blessing.

10. January 5, 2018 / 10:57 pm

The last one is so applicable to me in particular! I have a really bad habit of comparing my life to those more successful than me but like you say, we all have different struggles! Going to try my best to keep that in mind this year when I feel ungrateful. 🙂

• January 6, 2018 / 2:48 pm

I’ve struggled a lot with that too! Hopefully we can both not compare ourselves to others as much this year!

11. January 6, 2018 / 4:14 pm

Such a great post-I am definitely trying to work on not comparing myself too much to others this year too! x

• January 6, 2018 / 4:15 pm

Thank you! Its definitely a difficult thing not to do when we’re constantly looking at other people on social media! But I hope we both manage to stop or at least reduce it this year!x

• January 7, 2018 / 12:06 pm

Fingers crossed its great for both of us! Thanks so much, I’ll check it out now!x

12. January 7, 2018 / 2:38 pm

Great post I know the feeling about work 😀

13. January 8, 2018 / 5:32 pm

It’s so hard not to compare yourself to others but I love how you’ve written this in such a positive light! It’s so important to prioritise your own health and wellbeing too no matter what’s going on elsewhere, “you can’t pour from an empty cup” as they say. Here’s to a new year 🙂
    Alice Xx

• January 8, 2018 / 8:32 pm

Aw thanks so much! I couldn’t agree with you more, fingers crossed we both have a great one!x

14. Emily Isobelle Jane
    January 8, 2018 / 7:53 pm

Aw sophie I loved reading this! I cant agree with you enough about taking a break! Ive been ill for a while but always prioritized my learning career and blog. This year I’m taking a break from worrying about all of that and focusing on taking whole days for myself and getting better! best of luck with your degree and all that 2018 has to bring you lovely <3

Emily xx

• January 8, 2018 / 8:34 pm

Aw I’m so glad you liked it! Oh I’m sorry to hear that I hope you’re feeling better lovely! Make sure you look after yourself this year! Hopefully 2018 will be a good one for us both!x

15. mypassionprojects
    January 9, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Great post, so many great lessons. I definitely struggled with some of these things too. Thanks for sharing! 😊