The Spring/Summer Style Edit: Dresses to Die For

The Spring/Summer Style Edit: Dresses to Die For

I’ve loved dresses for a very long time. My ability to persuade both myself and others that yes I do need another has vastly improved since the childhood tantrums that ensued when my parents wouldn’t buy me every single Disney Princess dress… I know, poor me. There’s just something about them which I find so effortless to put together. There’s also a kind for every occasion: the little black one, the casual Summer one, the versatile ones which you can really get your money out of, midi ones, long ones, short ones, and in the words of Beyoncé; the freakum dress.

During the planing and creating of my most recent Look Book, I rediscovered my love for clothes. That sounds pretty silly, especially coming from a self-proclaimed fashion blogger. The British Winter always (at least feels like it) lasts a painfully long time. Over the colder months, I find myself falling out of love with my wardrobe. I joylessly reach for my most comfy and convenient clothes over those that I really want to wear. I’m so thankful that we’re now into Spring and approaching Summer so that I can enjoy fashion again.

The Little Black Dress

There are many ways one can wear the ‘little black dress’; after hearing those words I personally envisage a super sexy little number much like my first pick from Pretty Little Thing. Obviously sexy is most certainly not the only way to wear a little black dress though, and my second pick from Warehouse is a little more subtle (if you don’t want to show your whole leg) but so pretty and striking. Don’t make me choose, I love them both.

The Summer Day Dress

I’m longing for the warmer weather and the need for floaty lightweight dresses like pick number one from Warehouse. Or this little black number from Topshop.

The Versatile Dress

This season, Warehouse have the most gorgeous Midi Dresses* and you’re sure to get your money out of them as they’re just so versatile. Pair their Button column dress, or New Look’s Floral Wrap dress with sandals for day time casual, and swap to heels if you want to dress it up in the evening, effortless glamour.

The Freakum Dress

Even following my recent five day late ‘next day delivery’ drama with Pretty Little Thing, I find myself perusing their site weekly. If there’s one thing they do well, it’s knowing how to take a girls money in exchange for fairly priced out out outfits. I crown PLT the Queen of it, these rose gold and burgundy dresses are definitely on my to buy list, and aptly I do need a dress to go and see Beyoncé in June…

* This is a collaborative post with Warehouse. All words, style picks and opinions are my own. Please read my full disclaimer for more information.

1. Lisa's Notebook
    May 3, 2018 / 7:21 pm

These dresses are lovely, especially the red one, you could dress it up or wear it in a more relaxed way. I think I’m a bit too old for the minis now though, haha. I hope you have a amazing time seeing Beyonce, we’ll expect a full review in due course 😘 x

2. May 3, 2018 / 7:40 pm

I can definitely see myself in that black silk one and the last red one! Looks so dope! Great suggestions!

3. May 3, 2018 / 8:15 pm

You’ve chosen some amazing dresses here! I have such an issue with dresses though as I’m so tall half the time they don’t cover me up enough & the ones in the tall section are never as nice as these! I especially love that floral wrap dress from New Look though perfect for summer!

4. May 3, 2018 / 8:16 pm

These are so beautiful! I really want to get more dresses and wear them through summer. Thanks for sharing x

5. Creative Nails
    May 3, 2018 / 8:18 pm

They look so pretty! I love wearing dresses in the summer, it’s great. I love that rose gold dress and red one at the bottom, they are gorgeous!

Amy,

6. May 3, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Such a cute post, you can never go wrong with a little black dress. I really need to invest in a new one, but I like the button column dress, that is super cute. This post just reminded me that I need to invest in some dresses soon!

7. May 3, 2018 / 8:46 pm

I had never heard of a freakum dress! But I do love a versatile dress you can dress up or down!

8. May 3, 2018 / 8:55 pm

I *really* love that burgundy dress in the last group of dresses — it’s so subtly sexy and such a great color. This is a great round-up of dresses and I hope you get some warm weather soon.

Great picks! x

Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

9. May 3, 2018 / 8:58 pm

I’ve got to put my hands up and admit that I totally hadn’t thought of little black dresses as anything other than sexy. The one you showed from Warehouse proves that you can be elegant and still be fashionable at the same time, too!

10. May 3, 2018 / 9:09 pm

I love your choices Sophie! The floral New Look dress is perfect for holidays and summery weather 😍. I really like the button up dress too, that’s really cool! Thank you for sharing this gorgeous selection 💖 xx

11. May 3, 2018 / 9:37 pm

Can NOT wait for summer so I can wear dresses without tights and a jacket on a night out. Love that rose gold dress from PLT is needed!

Fran | http://www.franciscarockey.co.uk

12. May 3, 2018 / 10:22 pm

I love a good versatile dress! My wardrobe is full of those day to night, could dress up or down items. Having said that, I absolutely love the last burgundy one you included here x

13. May 4, 2018 / 11:33 am

All of these dresses are lovely – I wish I could get away with wearing something like that first little black dress but I definitely couldn’t! I tend to go for shorter dresses because I’m quite short and long dresses look a bit ridiculous on me.

14. May 4, 2018 / 8:22 pm

Oooh, a little black dress is always pretty. <3 I think that's definitely my favorite because it's so easy to style! I'm going to a party tonight and this post really helped me with outfit ideas. Thanks, lovely! 🙂 <3

15. May 4, 2018 / 8:24 pm

Oooh great dresses! I love the rose gold! xo

16. May 4, 2018 / 8:53 pm

Such a lovely post! Hopefully now the weather is getting hotter I can actually wear a dress without freezing!! Loved the second black dress x

17. May 5, 2018 / 2:00 am

These dresses are so pretty! I wish I was confident enough to put on a little black dress – maybe someday!

cabin twenty-four

18. May 5, 2018 / 3:56 pm

Looove this, I’m always looking for dresses to obsess over ahaha

19. May 8, 2018 / 8:06 pm

These dresses certainly are to die for! They are absolutely stunning and I love them! Especially the ones with florals. I’m a sucker for florals ~