A Bloggers Best Friends | Photo Props & Wish List

A Bloggers Best Friends | Photo Props & Wish List

As a blogger, content creator and avid Instagrammer, I know that images are everything. The old warning ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ has become irrelevant in our day and age, in which we place as much value on accompanying images as we do the content itself. We double tap the dreamy, well-lit pictures, the perfect flat-lays and pretty poses which draw us in and leave us wanting more. Even the very best writer would struggle for success as a blogger without the power of imagery. I’ve always viewed myself as a creative person, but over the last year I think that with practice my photography and attention to detail has come on leaps and bounds. I thought that I’d share my ‘bloggers essentials’ for great content.

Wishlist

A Bloggers High-Quality Camera

I’m typically pretty impressed with the kind of quality the iPhones provide. Saying that, for a while now I’ve been on the look-out for a more professional camera. The Panasonic Mirrorless 12-60mm Lens Camera is one which has recently caught my eye as it has the worlds fastest in class burst shooting. The camera enables amazing shots of pretty much everything and it’s definitely one which I’d love to have to take on future holidays.

Bloggers Panasonic Mirrorless 12-60mm Lens Camera

Wooden Bath Tidy

Most bloggers love bath time setups. Scrolling past Instagram posts of colourful bath bombs and relaxing bathroom decor never fail to hit the mark. Some of the most gorgeous bath themed images I’ve seen feature bath tidies; racks which rest across the width of the bath hosting a variety of photogenic goodies. I’ve had my eye on this one from The White Company for a while, and I think I’d definitely get my moneys worth from it.

Bloggers Bath tidy

Paperchase Post Cards

Bloggers Props

I bought a ‘when life gives you lemons’ postcard from Paperchase a while ago and I think it makes such a great photo prop. Next time I’m in Cambridge I’ll definitely be on the lookout for a few more, as they’re just the perfect flat lay feature.

What I Use

iPhone X and iPhone 8

I’m lucky enough to own an iPhone 8 and to have access to my partners iPhone X. Both phones have great cameras. I love the portrait mode, which gives depth effect and enables professional photography in seconds.. the only drawback being its need for a very well lit environment.

Depth Effect Bloggers

Props

New Look, Mermaid Tray

Bloggers Props

I only bought this quite recently but can’t find it online! The principle is simple, pretty trays will always make great backgrounds, propped either behind or underneath the product you’re shooting. It basically acts as a pretty cover up to any mess around you. Other great props include jewellery, candles, beauty products and..

Flowers

This rose wall from Milk Train is stunning. You bet I’d install one in my house if I knew how/ could afford to/ had room/ didn’t have hay fever (it’s not looking good). Although I don’t use anything quite as elaborate as a whole flower wall at home, I always make sure that I take advantage of fresh flowers.

Milk Train Rose Wall

The artificial ones from Neptune are stunning too if you’re looking for something longer lasting. They’re on my wish-list for as soon as I find the perfect vase for some peonies. At the moment I’m using some gorgeous false peonies which I was kindly sent by Ferris Heart Salone.

Bloggers Props

All of the Apps

It will never cease to amaze me how photo editing apps can take a picture from oh no I can’t post that to wow in a few seconds. My favourite for dramatic effects and toning yellows to bright whites is Lightroom, but check out this post if you want to know which other apps I rate.

Backgrounds

Sometimes the wooden floor and crumpled duvet (true story) just don’t cut it anymore. I’ve had to find a ways of upping my backdrop game. I picked up some wallpaper from eBay recently which I’ve found to be a great background for product photos.

Bloggers Cult Beauty Haul

Let me know in the comments what your blogger essentials are for great photos!

Shop Similar

*  This post is a sponsored post in collaboration with Panasonic. It contains PR Samples which I have been sent to review and give my honest opinion about. All words, images and opinions about the suitability of these products is my own. Please read my full disclaimer for more information.

1. June 21, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Okay so I am in love with your photography! Honestly, flowers are my favourite photo prop EVER 💕

2. June 21, 2018 / 8:14 pm

Your photography always looks amazing! Some great ideas here. Yes to paperchase cards hahah! Xx

• June 21, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Aw thank you lovely! Paperchase does some amazing little bits don’t they! xx

3. June 21, 2018 / 8:40 pm

I never thought of eBay for wallpaper, great tip Sophie! 💖 I love the flower wall, it’s gorgeous. Also Paperchase for postcards is my absolute favourite, they can brighten up any photo instantly. Great post and stunning photos as always! 😘 xx

• June 21, 2018 / 9:46 pm

Honestly, it was my boyfriends idea but a pretty good one! Amazon have some great ones too. Thanks so much!xx

4. June 21, 2018 / 8:59 pm

Love this, your photos are gorgeous!! So many great prop ideas here and some are so simple but really effective!x

5. June 21, 2018 / 9:43 pm

Absolutely loved this post, I’m always looking for ways to make my photography better so this has really helped! I keep meaning to pick up some wallpaper testers for blog backgrounds, I’ll have to go to my local B&Q soon! Your pictures are always so beautiful!

6. June 21, 2018 / 11:06 pm

I’m sorry, did I just read that all of your amazing instagram posts are ALL taken on an iPhone?! Give a second to pick my jaw off the floor…that’s absolutely incredible! I need to get the Lightroom app installed. Everyone says that one works wonders. I’m forever going to be a fan of the crumpled duvet photos though x

• June 23, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Yes! Haha thank you so much, I’ve had so many questions about how I take my photos and everyone is always so surprised when I say iPhone, but its starting to make me feel like I should maybe step up to a professional camera! I love Lightroom it makes such a difference! There’s nothing wrong with that haha! x

7. June 22, 2018 / 3:47 pm

I have this odd wooden palette that is washed with white and has flowers strung across the top and it is now my absolute favorite prop. I just recently took a photo of an outfit and was like “Wow, I can’t believe how pretty this looks.” I love the marble! I need to look more into purchasing something marble for future posts!

I love your blog and am so happy I just found it!

• June 23, 2018 / 12:40 pm

Aw that sounds like a wonderful prop! Thank you so much!

8. June 22, 2018 / 10:26 pm

Sophie, I’m in love with your photography!! So pretty!! xx Fresh flowers and pretty trays are definitely a necessity for me!

• June 23, 2018 / 12:53 pm

Thank you so much! Fresh flowers just brighten up everything don’t they?!

9. June 23, 2018 / 3:59 am

Yes to ALL 5! I think the eBay pointer is a nice hack so thank you Sophie! 💖💖 I think your photography is awesome btw, so vivid and bright! I think iPhone has done phenomenally with their cameras, I’m hoping to get an 8 plus to play around with portrait and take cool pics too lol…also that flower wall is so chic! Great post always, sending loads of love!! 😘

xx Lena | https://lenadeexo.com

• June 23, 2018 / 1:00 pm

I’m so glad you think so! I agree, iPhone camera’s can produce the most amazing quality! I hope you love your new phone when you get it, I love mine! xx

10. June 24, 2018 / 6:21 pm

Hope you’ll get your hands on the Panasonic camera soon! It’s great to have a nice camera even though I still have a hard time learning the settings XD. The postcard looks cute! Part of me likes buying those for decoration purposes XD. I LOVE floral walls! They make such great background props.

• June 24, 2018 / 10:03 pm

I have a hard time learning the settings too haha! I like them for decorating too! x

11. June 25, 2018 / 5:21 pm

I didn’t even think to look in paperchase for props – guess where I’m going as soon as I get a chance😅
    And also thanks for the tip about eBay wallpaper! xx
    Sophie | sophierayne.com

12. June 25, 2018 / 5:58 pm

I have been looking for a post like this for some time. Thank you so much for sharing them

13. June 25, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Lovely post! I really love taking photos for my blog and I’m always on the lookout for new props to get. The flower wall looks so amazing I would love to have one of those for my photos! X

14. June 25, 2018 / 7:33 pm

When I upgraded my camera for my blog, it changed everything. While newer phones have great camera qualities, I have an older generation Samsung phone that can’t keep up with the quality that I need. Also flowers are a must for me! I feel like they bring out the vibrant colors and Detail in any picture. These are all great tips and ideas for photoshoots, thank you for sharing!

15. Lisa's Notebook
    June 25, 2018 / 10:03 pm

Firstly, what amazing pictures (but no surprises there as I follow your Insta which is always goals!). That camera is the model of dreams although I’d have to work twice as hard as I do now to get that – better start saving then… Great tip about artificial flowers (which I use despite having a garden!) and wallpapers. They both make such a difference to photos, I can’t believe I used to use a sheet too. A tip I picked up from another blogger – when you’re in a hurry for a white background, just use your bath 🙂 Great post, Sophie, as always x

• June 26, 2018 / 8:42 pm

Thank you Lisa! I know the price is the only thing holding me back at the minute, I’m debating if its warranted by how much it will improve my images but I have no way of knowing! haha! The bath tip is fab so thank you for sharing! xx

16. June 26, 2018 / 6:20 pm

These are all really great ideas. It makes a lot more sense how so many bloggers have such beautiful photos. I see now that it takes a little effort and some props! I LOVE the idea of buying wallpaper!

Your blog is so beautiful and helpful. Thank you for sharing! <3

xo, kourtney| http://www.wutheringwrites.com

• June 26, 2018 / 8:47 pm

I’m so glad you found it helpful! Thanks for stopping by xx

17. June 27, 2018 / 12:29 am

I feel like no matter how great the iPhone camera becomes the feeling of having a camera and snapping a photo will always be something we want! I have an iPhone X and I LOVE the quality of it so much though! I’m more of a shower person – but I loveee bath bombs so much I might actually consider having a bath just to see a bath bomb in person and not just on my instagram!

My favorite app for my photos are VSCO (sometimes this app loves me, sometimes it doesn’t haha) and A Color Story helps me a lot with lighting!

• June 27, 2018 / 9:35 pm

I agree, there’s something nice about a camera and they’ll always be at least slightly better quality! Thanks for stopping by!

• June 27, 2018 / 9:42 pm

I’m so glad you liked it Emma, thanks for stopping by!

18. June 27, 2018 / 9:39 pm

I love the idea of using wallpaper as a background! I was actually considering wallpapering one of my wooden boards to use in photos.

• June 27, 2018 / 9:48 pm

You should do that! It makes life so much easier and you always have something quick and easy to use when you haven’t got time to create a nice photo set up!

19. June 27, 2018 / 10:53 pm

Hi there! I’m new to blogging and I learned a lot from this post. I’m also using my iPhone and my hubby’s Samsung for photos. My wish list also includes buying a new camera – will definitely check out Panasonic.

20. June 27, 2018 / 11:49 pm

I love all the photos you’ve taken!! My favourite thing you’ve included is the post cards I never thought of those for a good addition to a flatlay. Personally I love pics of jewelry to add some shine to a flatlay or flowers.

Ashiana | ashianashome.wordpress.com

• June 28, 2018 / 3:04 pm

Thank you! Flowers are one of the best props in my opinion!

21. jenmolina1313
    June 28, 2018 / 3:13 am

I have yet to play with a bath bomb 🙁 I am in need of that and a bath tidy! I also love seeing those posts on my feed!

Also, a bloggers best friend is most definitely a great background! 🙂

xoxo,
    Budgetgirlife.com

@budgetgirlife

• June 28, 2018 / 3:10 pm

Oh they just make the prettiest photos don’t they?!

22. June 28, 2018 / 7:44 am

Loved this post! Your photos are stunning! And I really want a bath board too as they make the most incredible bath props in photos! X

23. June 28, 2018 / 8:07 am

The photographs are beautiful… I too wish to buy a professional camera someday… But that has to wait…

24. At Lifestyle Crossroads
    June 29, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Lightroom is the best! I’ve recently started editing with it – but it really makes such a big difference! And I´m also using a lot my iPhone X, cause the quality of pictures is simply impressive for a phone. Otherwise I use Canon 700D.

Have a great weekend!
    Anna

25. July 1, 2018 / 3:09 pm

These were really helpful for me because I am trying to improve my photography! Using wallpaper is such a good idea! x