Using Pinterest to Generate Blog Traffic : A Beginners Strategy

Using Pinterest to Generate Blog Traffic : A Beginners Strategy

In the very recent past, Pinterest was an enigma to me. I was absolutely baffled by how to use it and why so many bloggers swear by its traffic-driving abilities. If trying to figure out whether it’s a legitimate business advantage or just a fun way to procrastinate sounds familiar, then you’ve come to the right place. Although I’m far from an expert there’s no doubt that I’ve made progress with it recently.

A couple of weeks ago Lauren from Ellduclos kindly offered me access to her Pinterest E-Course in exchange for an honest review. I’ll speak about how this, other materials and just general common sense have shown me how Pins can be used to promote blog content. My own Pinterest has jumped from inactive with next to no interest, to active with 100+ monthly engaged and 4.7k monthly unique viewers. I’m aware that these aren’t stats to brag about but I’m also pleased that I’ve achieved them in a matter of weeks. It leaves me hopeful that with more time my stats will only continue to rise. So here is my beginners guide to navigating Pinterest.

What is Pinterest?

I like to think of it as a kind of online mood board. Despite it being fun and a great source of inspiration, by creating popular pins it can also be a great traffic generator. In order to manipulate Pinterest to your advantage, it’s essential that you actively create and publish your own content. Re-pinning content that interests you and is relevant to your brand is also important. I’m going to be honest, creating for Pinterest and staying active enough is time-consuming. However, I really do think that its benefits outweigh the commitment. It’s also an incredible source of content inspiration if nothing else.

Ell’s E-Course

If you’re both a blog and Pinterest novice then Ell begins her course with some super helpful blogging basics. Despite learning nothing new as an older blogger, I would have found this invaluable as a new blogger. I did find it great reassurance that I’m doing everything right with regards to my blog.

Ell then goes into depth about several ways in which you can set up your Pinterest. She discusses the best possible ways to ensure it’s business advantage. Her step by step guides are accompanied by screenshots which make following the process as easy as possible. This second section of the course also contains some really helpful tips about making your account look professional and easy for viewers to gauge.

Before beginning the course I was a member of a few blogger group boards, one of my favourite being run by the lovely Hello Bexa. Group boards are pretty self-explanatory; boards that are shared by likeminded people all looking for mutual benefit (sharing of content). Ell’s overview was easy to follow and gave me a better understanding of the concept as a whole.

Pinterest Course

There are eight sections to the e-course in question. If you’re interested in it yourself, it’s worth noting that one and a bit of these sections focus upon Tailwind. Despite being consistent with the rest of the course in its easy to understand approach and genuine helpfulness, I would consider your thoughts on Tailwind before committing. Ell makes some very convincing points about the benefits of Tailwind, but personally, I just can’t justify its cost. I think this is an important consideration when deciding whether this course is for you. If you have a budget for both the course and Tailwind then I think the two will work hand in hand to help you succeed.

My Strategy

After using Tailwind’s free trial and deciding that it isn’t for me, I looked for a strategy. For the past few weeks, I’ve attempted to be active on Pinterest and re-pin at least once every hour. Additionally, I’ve created my own Pins to promote blog content using apps like Canva. I share these on both my blog board and various group boards as previously mentioned. This is much more basic than if I were to use a scheduler but right now it works for me. I also find content re-pinning quite fun. There are so many amazing pictures and ideas to be found and shared.

Pinterest

I downloaded the ‘Pinit‘ Plugin for my blog, which enables viewers to Pin images directly from my site, which in turn spreads the word about my content. I’m going to be honest, so far Pinterest has referred much less traffic than my other social media. This isn’t ideal, but in fairness, it’s currently much less established than my Twitter and other channels. I’m experimenting with various Pin designs and styles and attempting to work out which creates the most interest. I’m now a very avid Pinner so make sure you’re following me! I can’t wait to continue learning about its benefits and to share any other tips I learn with you!

*  This post may contain affiliate links. All words, images and opinions about the suitability of the products are my own. Please read my full disclaimer for more information.

1. August 30, 2018 / 5:10 pm

Great post! I love honest you were in your review. Well done with all your views on Pinterest, great work! I’m going to try and put more effort into Pinterest. Love your photos! Thanks for sharing.

2. August 30, 2018 / 5:13 pm

Oh my gosh I need this post! I always see people saying how beneficial Pinterest is for their blog and I’ve had it for years but I’ve just never known how to properly utilise it. Thanks so much for this,
    Hels xx

3. August 30, 2018 / 5:15 pm

I have download Ell’s e-course too and it has helped so much! Although boardbooster is now gone so i need to find something else for looping! Pinterest does drive traffic now!

4. August 30, 2018 / 5:21 pm

I was exactly the same at the beginning too! I never quite understood Pinterest but now most of my blog traffic comes from it & I have nearly 100k views a week..it’s definitelt worth investing time daily into Pinterest!

Pinar | http://www.beautybakingbella.com

• August 30, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Oh wow that’s amazing girl! Do you use Tailwind? x

5. August 30, 2018 / 5:24 pm

I’ve never heard of the pin it plugin and I think I need to get it. I’ve been wondering how people grow Pinterest for blog use for AGES now and I just never understood it? It always looked so difficult. It’s one of my goals to work on and improve my Pinterest game/ knowledge so a simple breakdown like this is really useful x

• August 30, 2018 / 7:53 pm

It absolutely baffled me at first too which is why I thought now I understand it better is the perfect time to do a beginners post on it! I’m so glad you found it helpful! x

6. August 30, 2018 / 5:26 pm

I have absolutely no idea how to work Pinterest but I’m trying to learn! I use Canva to make pins (When I remember) but that’s about it… Maybe I should check out the E-course!

Jas xx

• August 30, 2018 / 8:05 pm

It is super helpful if you’re a beginner! x

7. August 30, 2018 / 5:40 pm

I’ve been looking at Pinterest for ages and don’t really know how to use it so this was brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

• August 30, 2018 / 8:06 pm

I’m so glad you found it helpful!

8. August 30, 2018 / 5:43 pm

I always find posts about Pinterest so helpful so thank you for sharing Soph! I’ve seen a lot about Tailwind but also not sure if it’s worth the cost, maybe I should give the free trial a go. I’ve decided to redesign all my pins in Canva which is a bit of a mission he he, then I might look into a course too. I think pinning regularly is the key. Also thank you so much for mentioning my group board, that’s so kind of you <3 xx

• August 30, 2018 / 8:10 pm

You should definitely give the trial a go as you haven’t got anything to lose and they don’t ask for any payment info which I like, I just didn’t find it overly helpful with regards to traffic unfortunately. You’re so welcome, thanks for being so inclusive of it, it was my first group board and one of my favourites! x

9. Lupe
    August 30, 2018 / 5:53 pm

Ooh Pinterest! I use apps like tumblr to get inspiration, I don’t know if I’m ready to take the leap and join another app.. maybe I will someday

10. August 30, 2018 / 6:05 pm

I am Pinterest obsessed which does nothing for my productivity but it can be such a beautiful place for ideas but also tips for blogs as well as driving traffic. Great tips

• August 30, 2018 / 8:12 pm

It’s so amazing for ideas isn’t it! Thank you Gem! x

11. August 30, 2018 / 6:56 pm

Hey! Thank you for sharing the tips of how to ace the pinterest game x Could you let me know how many pins promoting your own content you pin a day? Thanks <3 Laura / https://laustworld.blogspot.com/

• August 30, 2018 / 8:14 pm

You’re welcome! Personally I only pin a few a week at the moment but that’s not necessarily the way to best grow traffic. I just don’t want to look too spammy before properly establishing my account! x

12. August 30, 2018 / 9:22 pm

Thanks for being so honest about your experience with Pinterest. I’m still trying to get the hang of it and it’s traffic opportunities. I tried the free trial of Tailwind and don’t think I would purchase it but I might research other sites that schedule pins for free. Thanks for sharing, logging on to Pinterest and making it useful again.

Natonya | http://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com

• August 30, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Thanks Natonya! I’d love to hear about other scheduling apps, Tailwind is just too expensive! x

13. August 30, 2018 / 9:26 pm

I really struggle to wrap my head around pinterest but I’m making it my mission to understand it before the end of the year! These are some great tips!

• August 30, 2018 / 9:55 pm

Good luck with it, it seems so complicated at the beginning but definitely gets easier! Thanks lovely x

14. August 30, 2018 / 10:31 pm

That’s amazing that you are making Pinterest work for you and your blog! I love using it, but I’ll admit I’ve fallen a little behind on Pinterest in the last month. I’m making an effort to be more active on it again as it’s so great for blog traffic if a pin takes off ☺️

Beka | http://www.bekadaisies.com

• August 31, 2018 / 9:10 am

With all of the social media that is useful for blog traffic we’re bound to fall behind on at least one from time to time! Good luck with being more active on it! x

15. August 30, 2018 / 10:34 pm

I have to be honest, I have a Pinterest account, but I don’t really know how to use it properly and I certainly don’t know how to use it to drive traffic to my blog!! This post has inspired me to get my act together and start sharing my own content (I think I’ve done it once so far!!). I’ve been looking into Pinterest courses recently so I’ll definitely keep Ell’s one in mind. Thanks for writing this post, it’s really helpful!

Leah | http://www.mybellyful.co.uk

• August 31, 2018 / 9:13 am

That’s exactly how I felt about a month ago! Good luck with your own Pinterest journey, it definitely gets easier! x

16. August 31, 2018 / 9:56 pm

Really enjoyed this post! Thank you so much for sharing ‘Canva’- if been trying to find an app that is free and allows me to make pinterest friendly graphics and overlays!! I also stopped using Tailwind- I hated the interface and found it to be way too congested and not very user-friendly. Thanks for the tips 🙂 xo J

• September 1, 2018 / 9:41 am

I’m so glad! I’m obsessed with Canva so hopefully you’ll love it as much as I do x

17. September 1, 2018 / 3:33 am

I didn’t know Pinterest is super helpful for driving traffic to blogs. I love seeing all sorts of Pinterest boards. It’s a neat way to organize clips and all. Bexa is really good at putting things together! Canva is such a nice tool to help with putting together banners. I need to get my Pinterest game up. Thanks so much for sharing!

• September 1, 2018 / 9:45 am

It certainly can be but it’s super new to me too! Good luck with working on your Pinterest, I need it too haha! x

18. Ell
    September 1, 2018 / 5:56 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to review! Loved what you had to say! I will say that the free tailwind doesn’t do it justice. It only allows you to schedule up to 100 pins and if you schedule 30 a day which is ideal, that’s not even a week trial ): so you don’t really get to see the full advantages of tailwind!

The $14.99 a month plan is perfect and really helps if you schedule 30-40 pins a day each week!! And takes time off your hands so you don’t have to manually pin as much!

Usually a good month or two to see real growth (:
    But tailwind isn’t for everyone so I understand!

Happy pinning can’t wait to see your growth!!! 😍

• September 2, 2018 / 3:46 pm

Thank you for the course lovely, overall I found it super helpful. I may have to give the monthly plan a try but the annual one just seemed like such a large payout risk! Thanks for the advice and I’m so glad you liked the review x

19. September 3, 2018 / 1:03 am

Thank you for the honest review! I’ve never thought about taking a course on using Pinterest. I’ve always used it more for my own personal inspiration since it never brings my blog as much traffic as Twitter or Instagram. But I like the idea of being active on it every hour. I’m going to have to put more time into it and see what works best for my blog x

x Kara | http://karascloset.net

• September 3, 2018 / 8:51 am

I hope you found it helpful! Mine hasn’t provided as much traffic as any of my other socials but I really want to work on it because of the potential! I hope you find a good strategy! x

20. September 8, 2018 / 1:06 pm

Pinterest has definitely changed my blogging game and Tailwind is awesome. I’ve tried their free trial and my stats skyrocketed from the tribes’ help.

• September 8, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Oh I’m so glad that it worked for you!

21. September 11, 2018 / 5:05 pm

My brain cannot wrap itself around Pinterest. I just don’t get it or I’m rejecting the thought of another site to manage. Or possibly both. Lol Good information here though and congratulations on your success so far.

• September 12, 2018 / 2:39 pm

I felt like that for so long! Thank you lovely! x

22. September 15, 2018 / 7:10 am

Thank you for this! Before now I’ve been using Pinterest as an online pin board where I’ve been pinning others pubs, which is great and I’ll continue to do so, but I’ll also start pinning my own as well.

• September 15, 2018 / 8:11 am

You’re so welcome! Re-pinning others is essential so that you don’t come off as spammy, but definitely make sure to get your own content out there too! x