Product Empties : Best and Worst

The closest thing I have to an addiction is the inability to stop buying and agreeing to test out new beauty products. I love opening fresh new makeup and trying out skincare that I’ve not used before. For this reason, my drawers are quite literally overflowing with products. There’s a reason you rarely see ‘product empties’ posts from me, and it’s because I never end up actually emptying anything!

This year I’ve being trying to tackle my slight commitment phobia which sees me pick up a different moisturiser every single evening. One of my new years resolutions was to try to use up some products, committing myself to certain ones and using them more than anything else with the goal of clearing out some space. So without further ado, here are the best and worst products of those that I’ve managed to use up recently.

Best Makeup and Skincare

Rimmel Stay Matte

An oldie but goodie, there’s not much to say other than it does the job well and you couldn’t ask for a fairer price. I’ve gotten through so many of these over the years and I think they’ll always be on my repurchase list.

Product Empties

Collection Sheer Loose Powder

Another powder that just does the job well. Loose powder and I have a very love hate relationship forged over powder spilt down many an outfit. Despite that, I love using this to ‘bake’ my makeup on when I need serious staying power. These pots usually last me a couple of months and for £3 I don’t think you can really go wrong.

Sand & Sky Brilliant Skin Pink Clay Mask

I spoke about this a while ago in my February Highlights so I won’t go into too much depth. I still haven’t purchased the full size of this yet because I have so many masks! I’d really like to use up a couple more before trying to cram any more into the drawer, but it’s definitely one I’ll be looking to use again.

Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2

This toner is specifically designed for dry – combination skin but even if you’re not that, I’d really recommend visiting a Clinique counter. Ask them to assess your skin and they’ll show you which products would benefit you and explain why. Their customer service is impeccable and this toner has always worked really well for me; cleaning and brightening my skin. I had a small acne issue in high school and beginning a full Clinique routine is what I attribute to clearing it up.

Product Empties

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish

Another oldie but goodie, I’ve gotten through a few of these and they’re just a really safe bet to clean, soft skin. I find the Cleanse and Polish a fair price for the product and it’s so gentle on the skin that every use is like a pamper.

No7 Protect and Perfect Intense Advanced Eye Cream

This is simply a good, moisturising eye cream. Boots charge just under £20 for it and I’m going to be honest, I think that’s a little pricey. I have quite a few eye creams at the minute but this is definitely one I’d keep in mind to repurchase when Boots roll out their £5 off No7 Skincare vouchers again. I wouldn’t repurchase it at full price because there are cheaper alternatives which I find just as good.

Worst  Makeup and Skincare

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion

I love Clinique, I use a lot of their products and swear by their skincare. This moisturiser however, is definitely an anomaly and I really don’t rate it. To this day, Clinique’s moisture surge gel is the best moisturiser I’ve ever used, so why anyone would opt to use the dramatically different instead is beyond me. This is only very slightly too thick to feel comfortable on my skin, and it’s results aren’t worth its price point.

Sanctuary Spa Moisture Burst Facial Wash

This is the first Sanctuary facial skincare product that I’ve tried and I reckon it’s probably my last. I really like Sanctuary bathing products so this came as a disappointment. Personally, I couldn’t stand the scent of it which is really strong and like roses. Despite it being an okay product in terms of results, there are others of the same standard which smell nicer and come in at a lower price.

Product Empties

Best Hair and Body

Charles Worthington Moisture Seal Shampoo

This is just a really nice shampoo. It’s always kept my hair moisturised but not greasy and it has a really pleasant scent. Honestly, there’s not much more to say…

Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Lotion

Not only does this smell divine, it sinks nicely into the skin, isn’t too sticky and is a really fair price. I particularly love applying this to tan and find that it moisturises so well that it helps to maintain a naturally bronzed look for longer. It’s one of my absolute go-tos when it comes to body moisturiser.

Batiste Dry Shampoo

I feel like this is a product that needs no introduction. Despite slightly preferring Aussie’s dry shampoo, I always tend to pick up Batiste when I see it on offer as (if shaken well) it does the job well and comes in quite a bit cheaper.

1. September 6, 2018 / 5:16 pm

Everybody is raving about Batiste dry shampoo! I really need to dry! I will have to try the clay mask. Shame for Clinique moisturizer lotion. They usually do well

• September 6, 2018 / 6:09 pm

You should, it’s not the BEST but for the price I think it’s good. It is a shame because I love everything else from Clinique! x

2. September 6, 2018 / 5:20 pm

I’ve heard so much about the Sand and Sky face mask and it sounds like you got on so well with it! I love when skincare helps to leave your skin looking healthier!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

• September 6, 2018 / 6:09 pm

I really did, I wish I could justify buying another one now! x

3. September 6, 2018 / 5:24 pm

We have the same addiction. I totally agree with what you said about dramatically different! I know they push sales of it as a part of their three step routine but I wonder how they sell any when the Moisture surge line is so fantastic. I’m not a fan of cleanse and polish though. I think the essential oils really irritate my skin. But it’s still one of those classic products! Great round up x

• September 6, 2018 / 6:42 pm

I’m glad I’m not alone haha! I’m so glad you agree, I just can’t understand why they push it when they have moisture surge! Oh that’s such a shame, I thought it was quite gentle but I don’t have very sensitive skin! x

4. September 6, 2018 / 5:46 pm

Such a shame about the Sanctuary product – I’m the same, I love their bathing stuff! I love the No7 protect and perfect, I’ve been using it for years, but the regular Boots discount vouchers are always a huge help!
    Gorgeous photos !
    Hels xx

• September 6, 2018 / 6:49 pm

It is a shame! I love the protect and perfect serums too, such a great range in general! x

5. September 6, 2018 / 5:53 pm

The first product that caught my eye was the Sand & Sky Brilliant Skin Pink Clay Mask. I had a sample size in a long-ago Birchbox and I loved it but I can’t justify the full price, it seems exorbitant to me. And I 100% agree with you about the Clinique lotion vs. gel, the gel wins hands down. Batiste has been my goto for years, the one I really love is their dry shampoo/conditioner combi with a slightly tropical fragrance. I’d be lost without this one 🙂 Fab post and pics as always, Sophie, thank you! xx

• September 6, 2018 / 6:54 pm

I agree, it is an expensive one which is partly why I haven’t added it to my collection yet, when I have so many already it seems crazy! I’m glad you agree with me on the Clinique moisturisers! The tropical Batiste is one of my favourites too but if I’m honest I usually grab whichever is on offer! x

6. September 6, 2018 / 8:06 pm

Ooh I have the cocoa Vaseline lotion too and I agree, it smells amazing! Such a lovely product. I’ve often seen that Batiste in the shops, the pinkness always catches my eye. I’ve never tried dry shampoo but I’ve heard good things so may give it a go! Great photos as always Soph, thanks for sharing your recommendations <3 xx

• September 6, 2018 / 8:10 pm

It’s gorgeous isn’t it, and the scent lasts really well! You’re lucky if you don’t need it, but it’s so great for volume as well as refreshing your hair! Thanks Bexa! x

7. September 6, 2018 / 8:34 pm

I always love reading about what products people loved and didn’t love! I used to use the Rimmel Stay Matte all the time, so thank you for reminding me how good it is!

x Kara | http://karascloset.net

8. September 6, 2018 / 11:53 pm

I genuinely swear by the Batiste dry shampoo! I’m currently loving the Luxe limited edition version – but I swear I collect them all, I always panic that I’ll wake up one day to find they’re all run out!
    I love the Rimmel Stay Matte powder as well, I tried MUA’s one last to see how it compared… and I’m definitely sticking to the Rimmel one in the future!
    Used to love the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish… but I swear they’ve changed the formula or something recently? Been using it for over 10 years, but there’s something off about the last few bottles I’ve had and I can’t place my finger on it!

• September 7, 2018 / 9:44 am

Ooh I’ve not tried the Luxe limited collection so that’s one I’ll have to pick up! Oh really? I’ve not noticed any changes in the Liz Earle but I tend to use it on and off so I probably just haven’t picked up on it! x

9. September 7, 2018 / 3:10 am

I am the same when it comes to buying beauty products! I love trying out new things except it’s hard to commit when you have so many products piling up (especially when they’re for the same type of treatment). I love clay masks! They feel so nice and do a lot of wonders with exfoliation. Clinique makes such nice products. Glad you enjoyed their customer service as well. There are different types of dramatically different creams. I’m not a fan of the gel because it’s too thick and prefer the lotion – that’s just me :’).

• September 7, 2018 / 9:53 am

I’m so glad it’s not just me! I love love love Clinique, I’m so glad that you actually do like the lotion- it’s interesting how different products work so differently for different people! x

10. September 7, 2018 / 6:25 pm

I enjoy that body lotion, so moisturising 😊. I like the idea of the post best and worst, it’s always good to know honest reviews of products! Thank you for sharing!

• September 7, 2018 / 7:11 pm

It’s great isn’t it! Thank you, I was initially going to include everything but it seemed pointless including the mediocre! x

11. September 7, 2018 / 6:52 pm

Lots of products mention I knew nothing of! So you just gave me some skincare tips 🙏🏾 The Clinique review shocked me though because my aunt uses that heavy and she loves the brand. The rimmel matte seems like a good idea though! Definitely going to look into that.

• September 7, 2018 / 7:12 pm

I’m so glad I’ve been able to introduce you to some products! x

12. September 7, 2018 / 10:44 pm

I love product empties posts. 💖 You have inspired me to try some of products, especially the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish!

Shocked by the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion – I thought this would be a winner!

Stephanie xox
    theldngal.co.uk

• September 8, 2018 / 10:00 am

I do too because I’m so nosy haha! That’s a great one so I hope you like it as much as I do! x

13. September 8, 2018 / 3:36 am

I keep seeing the Sand and Sky ads pop up on my Facebook. I’m glad to see a “real person” has tried them and liked them! I’ll def have to order some soon!
    KB

14. September 9, 2018 / 9:23 am

I am REALLY surprised about sanctuary skincare – I’ve heard loads about them but haven’t used it myself. Great post 🙂 I prefer Aussie dry shampoo to batiste too but it’s ok to pick up in Superdrug now and again haha!

• September 9, 2018 / 11:23 am

I was so surprised too! I completely agree, I grab it when it’s on offer and it does the job well despite not being the best on the market. I’m so glad you liked the post, thanks for stopping by! x

15. September 9, 2018 / 12:12 pm

I am nearly out of my rimmel stay matte powder as well and will definitely be repurchasing it! I love the Vaseline lotion as well, it’s the best! xx

16. September 14, 2018 / 6:34 pm

I definitely want to try the clay mask and the liz Earle polish, I’ve heard so much about both! Love the rose gold basket! Such good post! Xx

• September 14, 2018 / 9:45 pm

I hope you love them both as much as I do! Thank you! x