How to Extend Your Summer Glow

Although there are certain aspects of Autumn and Winter that I’m looking forward to, none of them quite make up for the bitter cold of the UK throughout them. I’m one of those people that seems to have a slightly cooler body temperature than the average person, so Summer is my season. If I’m honest with you, some of it’s superficial; I look better with sun-kissed hair and a tan. I’m not quite ready yet to say goodbye to good lighting and pretty dresses in favour of frizzy, hood hair and six layers of clothing. At this time of year it’s for that reason that I make every attempt to extend Summer as much as possible within my beauty routine, and any other way I can too!

I love a natural bronzed look, so over Summer I tend to ditch the fake tan in favour of the real thing. It’s at this time of year, when it appears we’ve enjoyed the last of the sun, that I start reaching for the bottle again, or bottles to be precise. After many trials and errors, here are the products that I’ve found to work well for me.

Norvell Renew Exfoliating Prep Mitt

Mitt

One of the only reasons I find tanning such a hassle is the need to exfoliate beforehand. Often I forget, and for some reason, the skin on my legs is quite sensitive, so shaving and exfoliating products can irritate them. Not to be dramatic, but the Norvell exfoliating mitt is a game changer. Not only does it exfoliate, but it does so extremely gently. The mitt is easy to use and it balances pH levels in order to maximise the colour pay off of the tan. I’m able to use this straight out of the packet and without needing to wash anything off before tan application. It’s effortless, quick, smells amazing, and I’m all for it.

Norvell 1 Hour Rapid Mousse

Mousse

I’ve tried many fake tans but hadn’t found one to rival my trusted Bondi Sands until I tried Norvell. Like every fake tan I’ve ever tried, I find that keeping the tan on at least three times longer than as instructed on the bottle is essential. Despite the ‘1 hour’ in its name, the longer the tan has to develop, the better the colour pay off, or at least in my experience. I’ve also tried the Norvell Effect Hi-Res Color Creator which is a spray tan instead of a mousse. Despite it’s higher price point, I found that the colour pay off was no better. I also got tan all over my floor and sprayed unevenly so ended up having to rub it in anyway. Overall it just seemed like unnecessary effort and so I prefer the mousse (which I apply with a St Tropez mitt, please excuse how used mine is).

Norvell

In the above picture, I used Norvell’s mousse on my right leg only. You can see the colour difference between it and my normal skin tone. It’s lucky that the weather’s been pretty autumnal recently and I felt no desperate need to bare my mismatched legs to the world! (don’t worry, I did even them out eventually).

Clarins Radiance-Plus Golden Glow Booster

I’ve spoken about how much I use this over Summer a few times, but it’s just as essential throughout the rest of the year too. If you go barefaced a lot (or want a little extra radiance for the rare occasion) then you need this. I find that I end up using quite a lot of this. My skincare regime often brings me back to square one, so I usually apply it daily. Despite that, the bottle lasts a pretty long time as you only need to add a few drops to your moisturiser.

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs

While I’d love to write this post and pretend as though I’m always a bronzed goddess who consistently maintains her legs to a high standard, I won’t. I often allow my legs to get to that awful patchy stage which indicates that you’ve left the tan on for too long. I do, however, ensure that no-one other than myself and my oh-so-lucky other-half ever get to witness it. Over Winter it’s easily rectified by chucking on jeans or the thickest tights that Primark offers. On the rare sunshine filled Autumn days in which I do want to show my legs and haven’t tanned, the Sally Hansen airbrush becomes my saviour.

* This post contains PR samples. All words and opinions are honest and my own. Please read my full disclaimer for more information.

1. September 16, 2018 / 3:41 pm

Oooh I’ve heard such fab things about Norvell products, I’m actually tempted by the mitt despite the fact I don’t use self tan haha! I get quite sensitive skin on my legs sometimes so this sounds like a really lovely thing to use. The difference in your legs is insane and I do really see why people use fake tan as it can make such a difference in someones look. It seems especially good for hiding uneven skin tone and blemishes too which is something I could definitely do with! Tan just doesn’t seem to suit me though, especially being so brightly blonde. I have tried the honey bronze drops from The Body Shop in my moisturiser on holiday Summer days and I’d recommend those, too!
    Alice Xx

• September 16, 2018 / 4:50 pm

The mitt is actually amazing, it’s something I never would have picked up for myself but it’s something I’ll definitely be re-purchasing! I can’t believe how gentle it is on the skin and how effective it is! Hiding blemishes and evening out tone is one of the reasons I use it so much! That’s fair enough, you look great whereas I look a little washed out without it I think! Oh thanks girl, I’ll have to try those! x

2. September 16, 2018 / 10:47 pm

I am really curious about the Norvell Renew Exfoliating Prep Mitt. I would like to try this. I like to try different exfoliating products to see which ones work best for me.

• September 17, 2018 / 10:23 am

This one is one of the most gentle I’ve ever tried, I’d 100% recommend! x

3. September 17, 2018 / 7:11 am

I love Autumn but I’m kinda sad to see the summer go for the same reasons as you, I love the pretty dresses and I much prefer being warm. I’ve never self-tanned so this post was very educational. The mitt looks like a fab product and it’s great that it’s kind & gentle on the skin too. Wow, you can really see the difference between the left & right leg. It’s looks so natural and glowy! If I ever feel like tanning, I’ll know which products to use now, thanks Soph! <3 xx

• September 17, 2018 / 10:12 am

I’m the same, there are parts of Autumn I love but I already miss Summer! I’m glad you found it helpful and thanks for stopping by! x

4. September 17, 2018 / 5:29 pm

I had never heard of Norvell products before but seeing the difference between your two legs I am like wow! I came back from holiday not so long ago but my tan is already gone (almost). I have never fake tanned before but why not after all! I don’t want summer to be over so if at least I have a tan, I’ll feel like things are not too bad!

• September 17, 2018 / 6:10 pm

It’s crazy isn’t it?! and the tan is so natural looking and lovely. My tan doesn’t last very long either, I definitely have to make sure to maintain and top it up! x

5. September 17, 2018 / 5:35 pm

This tan looks banging! I’m a huge fake tan lover and wearer but I’m always after trying something new! So thank you for the recommendation 🙂

• September 17, 2018 / 6:20 pm

It’s so great! You’re very welcome and if you get to try it, I hope you love it as much as I do! x

6. September 17, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Ooh! I’m just trying to make up a Clarins order (want the free gift, haha!) and need something extra and that boost sounds like it might be just the ticket. I love putting make up on but sometimes I just can’t be bothered before work, but I have a really pale complexion – this could be the ticket! Thanks! Lovely post – long may the summer rays stay.

• September 18, 2018 / 8:55 am

I always buy more products for free gifts too haha! I hope you love it as much as I do if that’s the product you go for! x

7. September 18, 2018 / 1:27 am

I’ve been experimenting and trying to find some good tanning products, so thanks for the post and recommendations! Your tan looks great!

• September 18, 2018 / 8:58 am

You’re so welcome, and thank you! x

8. September 18, 2018 / 12:22 pm

I was reading this in awe of you being able to enjoy the summer months and actually get a tan! I’m super pale and the sun just makes me feel really uncomfortable and irritated…I don’t tan either which always makes me sad :'( so I always end up a tad jealous of those who do haha! x x
    Ellis // http://www.elliswoolley.co.uk

• September 18, 2018 / 1:43 pm

Oh I totally get you! I went through a few years of not being able to tan no matter how hard I tried! I accidentally burnt myself on holiday once and after that I tan fine! Pretty strange x

9. September 18, 2018 / 8:46 pm

Wow this tan looks amazing! I need to get my hands on it. I’m a St Moriz girl, as I’m too scared to drift to anything else. I’ll definitely give this a go x

• September 18, 2018 / 10:03 pm

I didn’t think I’d find anything to rival my go to Bondi Sands, but this definitely does! x

10. Michelle Blackadar
    September 18, 2018 / 9:18 pm

wow that glow looks beautiful! i kind of want that mitt even though i don’t tan, my legs are also really sensitive and i also take a bubble bath every night so they are often very dry. this sounds like an amazing product to try out! lovely post xx

mich // simplymich.com

• September 18, 2018 / 10:04 pm

The mitt is honestly amazing and it made my legs look so much better even without the tan. I’d definitely recommending picking one up if you get the chance! x

11. September 19, 2018 / 11:08 am

I’ve only ever used fake tan once and I clearly didn’t do it properly because my palms and nails were orange for days afterwards, haha. I also wasn’t keen on the biscuit smell. But that was a looooooong time ago and I’m sure things have moved on since then. I’m intrigued by the Norvell mitt and mousse, they’ve made such a difference to your (right) leg. It looks very natural too – and good tip about leaving products on three times longer than suggested. Thank you for the product recommendations. I’m with you on frizzy hood hair and layers as well, I loathe Autumn and Winter, I’m definitely a Summer girl! xx

• September 19, 2018 / 12:40 pm

Haha oh no! I’d definitely recommend using a mitt instead of your hands! I’m glad I’m not the only one, everyone else seems to love this time of year! x

12. Lisa Autumn
    September 19, 2018 / 9:07 pm

Ahhh amazing tips girl! Thank you!

x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

13. September 22, 2018 / 5:13 pm

I hate seeing my summer glow fade so I am definitely going to try out Norvell and the mitt too!

Your before and after pics are incredible – how often do you top it up? 🙂

I miss my golden legs so much and would love to have a bit of a tan again. Autumn fashion is fabulous but Autumn skin can be an utter pain aha.

Stephanie xox

• September 22, 2018 / 6:37 pm

I do too! I top it up after around a week. Haha I totally agree with you! x

14. September 23, 2018 / 12:01 pm

Love this post, your tan looks amazing! Think I’m definitely going to have to try this out 🌞

• September 23, 2018 / 12:11 pm

Thank you! I hope you love it if you do! x