Product Empties | September & October

Product Empties | September & October

I only recently wrote my first ever Product Empties post and I’m not quite sure how I’ve managed to get through enough products to already be writing another one. It seems that sometimes everything just decides to give up the ghost at the same time and the last couple of weeks have definitely been an example. I guess it’s pretty lucky that I keep plenty of beauty backups for this exact reason, eh? The following are the products I’ve used up over the last couple of months and what I think of each.

Face

Sleek Lifeproof Foundation | £8.99

So I guess I cheated on this one and didn’t use the whole thing. My friend gave it to me on one of our ‘products I no longer use’ swaps (which I thoroughly recommend as you avoid waste and get to try out more products) so I received around half a bottle. I actually don’t think I ever would have thought to pick up a Sleek foundation but I was pretty impressed by this. If you’re looking for a medium coverage foundation for under a tenner that does the job and doesn’t cake, this should be a contender.

Estée Lauder Double Wear | £33.50

This is one of my firm favourites and I will of course be repurchasing (although I’ll probably wait until the nicer weather of the new year). I believe that this was my third bottle and it’s just a safe bet for lovely looking skin.

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation | £10.99

A wonderful lightweight foundation which lasted me really well over the Summer. This isn’t one of those products that I want to scream about and recommend to everyone I know, but it is a decent drugstore foundation.

L’Oreal True Match Powder Foundation | £6.99

I’ve lost count of how many of these I’ve gotten through over the years but it’s definitely upwards of five. I find that this just adds a little extra coverage (on top of liquid foundation) and it lasts really well throughout the day. The (flip up mirror) packaging is perfect for on the go top ups if you’re anything not like me and won’t smash it about and break the pressed powder. A definite repurchase.

Product Empties

L’Oreal True Match Concealer | £7.99

I didn’t realise how much I like the True Match range until I sat down to feature two of it’s products after applying its foundation this morning. This isn’t a product that I’d rush out to repurchase but I definitely would consider picking it up again. It’s lightweight but does the job and I probably bought it in a L’Oreal 3for2 deal which brings the price down considerably.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer | £6.49

I’m not overly bothered about this- it did the job well enough for regular use but I don’t miss it. It’s a fair product for it’s price point but it has a lot of competition. As someone with chronic dark-circles I don’t get the Wake Me Up branding either, it’s just your standard concealer and I’m not rearing to repurchase.

L’Oreal Super Liner Perfect Slim | £6.99

This is another product that I continually repurchase, who knew I loved L’Oreal so much? Not me. I’ve used this for years and haven’t found anything that compares as of yet. The ‘Perfect Slim’ is a crucial aspect for that easy sharp point liner application.

Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil | £20.50

This is okay but I definitely won’t be repurchasing. I typically enjoy Benefit products but do favour brow pomade over any other brow products; hence my lack of enthusiasm. I also think that the price point is absolutely crazy considering its essentially a brow pencil with a fancy formula and a slant for ease of application.

Body

Product Empties

Rihanna Rebelle Eau de Parfum | £20.00

A couple of years after receiving this as a Christmas present, I finally finished it. Although high-end perfumes are definitely my preference, this one has a lovely coconut like scent and is great for your day-to-day, nothing special use (although it is a little pricey for what I’d label as a cheap perfume).

Bilou Pink Melon Shower Foam | £3.99

This product scores highly for cute packaging and scent (think watermelon Wrigleys gum). Word of warning through- don’t use it in sensitive areas. Despite really enjoying this generally, I tend not to repurchase shower gels that sting because there’s no way I can be arsed to make the effort to use whole different shower gels for separate parts of my body. I also tend to steer towards slightly cheaper shower gels or foams, preferring to splash out (excuse the pun) on products that I’ll actually appreciate when I have time for baths.

Alice + Eliza Shower Gel

I tend not to feature shower gels in my empties (I say in the second shower product feature) because ordinarily my strategy involves picking up whichever is on offer whilst doing my food shop. This one though, was a gift (from Marks I think) so is pretty posh and pretty nice.

Avon Secret Fantasy Eau de Toilette | £5.50

I’ve had this so long that the branding has worn off and recently I was surprised to discover that it had retained it’s scent for all of these years. I owned this before I discovered my love for high-end perfume, leaving this little fella unloved in the back of my drawer. I won’t be repurchasing, purely because I felt that I actually had to make an effort to use it up. Saying that, if you’re on a budget or fancy picking up a perfume you can travel with and not worry about losing then this is perfect. I’ve genuinely never smelled anything nicer (in perfume not body spray form) for £5.50. This doesn’t have that cheap smell to it, so for its price its a good’un.

Skincare

Product Empties

Nip + Fab Dragons Fix Cleansing Pads | £6.99

These are essentially fancier versions of those cheap toner pads that my year group all used throughout high-school. I bought these a while ago because Snapchat (I think) claimed that Kylie Jenner loves them. If she does, I’m not sure why.

Doris Wagner Pore Refining Solution | £24.90

I mentioned this in my recent updated morning skincare routine, so typically it only lasted me a few days longer. Despite liking this, I’m not going to repurchase straight away, instead I’m planning on trying out alternatives to see if I can achieve more dramatic results.

Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturiser | £4.29

I mentioned this in a previous monthly highlights post, so you know I really like it. I won’t be repurchasing straight away (as I have so many others to get through) but I will be repurchasing eventually. It’s a great moisturiser for its price point.

Products Update

I really love trying out new beauty products and I’d say that consumerism is just part of my lifestyle. However, after a few months of storing all of my empties for these posts, I’m forced to throw away. I recently watched A Plastic Ocean on Netflix and although I’ve been environmentally conscious for a while now, it moved me much more than I could have anticipated. For that reason I’m currently partaking in ‘No Plastic November’. I am still using many of the plastic packaged products I already own but won’t be buying any new ones this month and I’m actively looking into more environmentally conscious brands. I’m also reducing waste in other aspects of my life and look forward to updating you with how I get on.

*  This post contains PR Samples which have been sent to review and give my honest opinion about. I was under no obligation to feature these products. All words, images and opinions about the suitability of the products are my own. Please read my full disclaimer for more information.

• November 8, 2018 / 10:06 pm

Thanks Ellie, I’m glad you like them x

1. November 8, 2018 / 6:07 pm

I haven’t actually tried any of the Sleek make-up before, I’ve seen it in Boots but I haven’t really heard much about it so I haven’t looked. It’s interesting to hear that the foundation impressed you though, especially as it’s £8.99. I love the Simple moisturiser – I have used more expensive brands before but I never seem to get the same results as that one from Simple! It’s surprised me because of the price of it – it seems to work really well with my skin! Your ‘No Plastic November’ sounds like such a good idea. I think it is so important that people become more environmentally conscious, I can’t wait to read more and see how you get on throughout the month.

Amy,

• November 9, 2018 / 4:33 pm

I tend to find them pretty average (but with fair prices) as a brand, so I was pleasantly surprised by it! It’s a fab moisturizer isn’t it? I only have a few which I prefer and they’re much more expensive. Thank you! I can’t wait to write more about it x

• November 9, 2018 / 4:18 pm

It’s a wonderful brand isn’t it?! I adore their packaging x

2. November 8, 2018 / 6:51 pm

I’m still yet to try the Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation but I constantly hear people talking about just how incredible it is – I think I need to pick up a tester to try myself.. 🙊 I loved the Simple Rich Moisturiser for so long but like you, have so many others to get through that I’ve just stopped using it. I may need to pick it back up again when I’ve finished the rest! 😇

• November 9, 2018 / 4:54 pm

It’s one of my top foundations and definitely worth a try in my opinion! It’s crazy how many products we buy even though we don’t need them isn’t it? I’ll be keeping this one in mind for sure x

3. November 8, 2018 / 9:57 pm

There are more products here than I was expecting! You’ve done so well to finish and keep this many things. It usually takes me forever to finish something. I like Benefit Goof Proof, but I do prefer pencils over other forms of brow product. I’ve also repurchased the L’oreal liner a few times. I don’t wear liquid all that often so they usually dry up long before I finish them. I think that one is great for the price! x

• November 9, 2018 / 4:16 pm

It usually takes me a while too but I’ve been more consistent with the same products recently and a lot of them gave up the ghost at the same time! Oh it’s interesting that you seem to get on with Goof Proof better, I’m glad you like the liner too! x

4. November 8, 2018 / 11:43 pm

I love these posts – and the little reviews you had of each are super helpful. I really want to try the Estee Lauder double wear foundation as I’ve heard so many great things about it! I’m also trying to reduce my plastic waste so what you’re doing sounds like such a great way to do so! Thanks for sharing x

• November 9, 2018 / 7:00 pm

Thank you! It’s one of my top foundations so I definitely recommend. Keep an eye on the blog for tips on how to reduce plastic and more eco-friendly products! x

5. November 9, 2018 / 4:02 am

I’ve never used those beauty makeup products before but it really helps to read what you thought of them! I like the Lifeproof foundation but honestly I am not looking to cover much so I feel like I’d lean towards the L’Oreal True Match! And it’s powder, which I feel like I’d like better 🙂 Thank you for making this post! And the pictures are indeed quite lovely 😊

• November 9, 2018 / 7:08 pm

I’m so glad you found it helpful! The True Match would be perfect for you if you like a lighter coverage! Thanks for stopping by! x

6. November 9, 2018 / 8:39 am

Love that I read this because- another blogger raved about the Estée Lauder double wear, the true match and the concealer! So i will definitely be purchasing those in the future as foundation is one of my hardest products to find that I love and that work well on my skin.

• November 9, 2018 / 10:04 pm

Ooh good to hear that others are loving some of these products too! You’ll have to let me know how you get on if you try them, the Double Wear is one of my all time favourites! x

7. November 9, 2018 / 8:57 am

This is a lovely idea for a blog post, your pictures as well are lovely as always! That sleek foundation doesn’t sound too bad.. I’ve got a few of Sleek’s lipsticks and eye palettes but some of them aren’t the best so I would have never really thought about picking up the foundation, but the price is pretty good too! Great post <3

• November 9, 2018 / 10:06 pm

Thanks Chloe! I find Sleek pretty average so I wouldn’t have picked it up myself either but I’m glad I’ve tried it! Thanks for stopping by x

8. November 9, 2018 / 9:31 am

Soph your pictures are so beautiful in this post! I also love Estee Lauder Double Wear but I haven’t repurchased it in absolute months and now you’ve put it back on my radar haha! I may have to ask for it as a Christmas present as I forgot just how much I love this foundation! xx

• November 9, 2018 / 4:11 pm

Thank you Chloe! It’s definitely a good one to add to your Christmas list isn’t it? It’s one of my top foundations! x

9. November 9, 2018 / 10:47 am

Why have I never thought of ‘products I no longer use’ swaps with my friends? This is SUCH a good idea! I always hear amazing things about Estee Lauder Double Wear, I think I’m going to treat myself this Christmas, I do need some coverage that will stay all day and none I’ve used to date can manage it. And Simple is another of my favourite brands: budget skincare but it works. Lovely empties round up, Sophie, and beautiful photos as always! x

• November 9, 2018 / 4:08 pm

Thank you! It’s saved a lot of waste between us both and I’ve found some products I love from it! I hope you love Double Wear if you’re treated this Christmas, it’s hands down one of my favourites! Thanks Lisa, I’m so pleased you enjoyed it x

10. November 9, 2018 / 3:38 pm

I love your photography here! I really want to try the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation, I’ve heard it’s amazing x

amerzwithlove.com

• November 9, 2018 / 7:12 pm

Thanks Amita! It’s one of my favourites so definitely worth a try in my opinion! x

11. November 9, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Love your post! I can’t wait to try some of these, especially the cleaning pads. Thanks for the great recommendations 🙂

• November 9, 2018 / 10:07 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it x

12. November 10, 2018 / 1:45 am

Love that you found some beauty products that you enjoy using! I need to check out the Estee Lauder Double Wear – I’ve heard a lot of the brand but haven’t tried anything directly from them, only their branched companies. Oh man, concealers that don’t cost a fortune are the best! Rihanna is doing something right with putting her name out there with the eau de parfum.

It is good that you’re trying to be more mindful about plastic usage. It is important that we limit how much plastic we use because it gets dumped somewhere!

• November 10, 2018 / 10:42 pm

Ooh it’s one of my favourite foundations so I’d definitely recommend it! Thanks Nancy, I totally agree with you x

13. November 11, 2018 / 9:09 am

I love reading Empties, it’s actually where I find new products to try out! I really love the Bourjis healthy mix foundation, I’ve never actually tried the serum version of it before, will need to give that a try. I’ve also love the Simple moisturiser too it’s a product I’ll always go back to! Great post x

• November 11, 2018 / 2:51 pm

I love reading them too! I’ve not tried the normal version actually so I need to give that one a try. Thanks lovely, I’m glad you liked it x

14. November 11, 2018 / 9:18 am

I’ve been looking for new foundations and concealers to try but I can never decide which ones to try because I’m always afraid to spend the money in case they’re not great, haha, so I’m really looking forward to trying some of these recommendations. I love that you’ve included a range of different prices as well.
    I’ve never, ever thought of doing a product swap with friends so this is something I’m going to suggest to them – thanks so much for the idea!
    Great post!

• November 11, 2018 / 2:58 pm

I wish I was more like that, I need to stop buying them if anything haha! I hope you like anything that you try! Product swaps have been great for me, I’ve been able to declutter things that I don’t use much and have found some great things that I wouldn’t have necessarily have picked up myself- I hope you find them as helpful as I do! x

15. November 11, 2018 / 9:21 am

I can’t believe how many products you’ve got through! I hardly ever reach the end of a product because I’m forever buying new ones to test so in the new year I’m making it my mission to finish as many as possible before buying loads more! I’ve never tried that L’Oreal True Match Powder but I was thinking about getting a new one this morning so I’ll definitely check that out, thanks for the recommendation!

• November 11, 2018 / 3:02 pm

I made that my mission last year as I’m so flakey with products- you’ll be surprised how quickly they run out when you stick to the same ones! I absolutely love it, it’s on the pricey side for a drugstore powder I think but it’s justified if you make use of a deal! x

16. November 11, 2018 / 9:31 am

I always love getting recommendations for skincare products. I’ve been trying to change up my skincare routine after so many years of doing the same thing. I’ll definitely look into the products you mentioned. What a great price for the Simple moisturiser!

• November 11, 2018 / 3:06 pm

If doing the same thing is working for you then that’s great! Sometimes it does get a little boring though doesn’t it, I hope that you like any of these recommendations that you might end up trying! x

17. Lainy
    November 11, 2018 / 9:40 am

Wow, that’s so many empty’s it always takes me so long to get to the end of a bottle/tub, I think my concealer runs out quickest! Great post, I love your photos! 🙂

Lainy x https://bookishbitsblogblog.wordpress.com

• November 11, 2018 / 6:15 pm

I’ve been making an effort to stick to certain products and not be so flitty recently! Thank you x

18. November 11, 2018 / 9:41 am

Love this post, I’m always struggling to pick a foundation for my skin so I’ve stuck to the same one for years and I really should try others. Plus I have no idea what moisturiser is the best for my skin so you’ve given me some really good ideas. Thanks for sharing! X

• November 11, 2018 / 6:17 pm

Thank you! If you have one that works then thats great! I do try quite a lot because I get bored easily and love hunting for great ones! I’m glad you’ve found it helpful x

19. November 11, 2018 / 9:42 am

It’s so nice to see what products you have used up rather than a haul. You can see what someone has genuinely enjoyed using!

Hayley | hayleyxmartin

• November 11, 2018 / 6:21 pm

I think so too, I really enjoy reading others empties posts so I’m glad you like them too! x

20. November 11, 2018 / 9:57 am

I really want to try Ester Lauder double wear! I love the Bilou showergel it’s smells heavenly x

• November 11, 2018 / 6:24 pm

It’s one of my all time favourites so I’d definitely recommend! They do don’t they, and they have the cutest packaging too x

21. November 11, 2018 / 10:14 am

I really want to try the Estee Lauder double wear!

Also, hats off to you for actually finishing the products that you buy! It’s something that I’m trying to do a lot more now as I used to be awful for it <3

• November 11, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Its one of my absolute favourites! Thank you, I’ve really made an effort to do so this year! x

22. November 11, 2018 / 10:16 am

Absolutely agree with this! I’m using the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer at the moment and I don’t think I’ll be getting it again. Shame as I love their other products. L’Oreal eyeliners are my favourite. I haven’t tried the perfect slim one but currently using the black lacquer and it’s so good! x

Megan | https://meganelizabethlifestyle.com/

• November 11, 2018 / 8:20 pm

I’m so glad you relate! I actually really like L’Oreal, the perfect slim one is amazing and so easy to use x

23. Cara
    November 11, 2018 / 10:28 am

Some great recommendations. I’ve tried the Sleek foundation and it’s actually so good for the price I also would never have expected to purchase it. I also agree with your opinion on the Nip + Fab cleansing pads I much prefer using the Pixi Glow Tonic pads.
    Cara x

• November 11, 2018 / 8:24 pm

I’m glad you think so! Ooh I love Pixi but didn’t even know they did pads so thats interesting! x

24. Gemma
    November 11, 2018 / 12:58 pm

I adore all your photos in this post, Sophie! Some lovely products here as well, seems like you’ve had them all for a while. This is why I could never do a monthly empties. It’s good you’re trying to be more mindful about plastic usage, I’m sure this will be hard as there is soo much plastic out there. This is soo important and one of the many ways to help the environment.

Gemma | http://www.anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com

• November 11, 2018 / 8:28 pm

Thanks Gemma! I’m pretty impressed by how much I’ve managed to clear out! Thank you, it’s definitely difficult but I agree, it’s so important x

25. November 11, 2018 / 2:39 pm

The idea of a no plastic month seems pretty great although admittedly challenging considering that pretty much everything is package in plastic now a days. I might have to try it out some month just to see if I could pull it off!

There are some pretty great products in here! I will definitely have to keep my eyes out for a few of them when I hit up the stores next time!

• November 11, 2018 / 8:32 pm

Thank you, it is definitely challenging! If you’re serious about it then I’ll be posting an update about how I got on with some tips! x

26. November 11, 2018 / 5:35 pm

I’ve heard so many amazing things about that Estee Lauder foundation, definitely seems worth the money! That simple moisturizer is great too, so effective for the price! Loved this post!x

Lily Loves | https://www.lilyloves.net/

• November 11, 2018 / 8:36 pm

It’s one of my all time favourites and lasts for quite a while so I’d definitely say so! Thanks Lily! x

27. November 11, 2018 / 7:18 pm

Wow! You’re photography is amazing! I really need to up my game!

28. November 11, 2018 / 7:31 pm

Your photography is gorgeous, i love how much detail you include! I also love the honesty, I think we all have a lot of products that are ‘ok but wouldn’t buy again’!

• November 12, 2018 / 9:02 am

Thanks Ellie! I completely agree and would never recommend something thats just average! x

29. November 11, 2018 / 8:27 pm

I appreciate your reviews, I have found a few products based on these reviews I would like to try. Something you said really stuck with me though, the No-Plastic november! I wish more products would switch to sustainable resources for packaging. The skincare line I use most uses plastic and I feel wasteful when I throw the bottles away!

• November 12, 2018 / 10:14 am

I’m so glad! I totally agree, saving products up for these posts really put it into perspective for me just how much has to go into landfill and it makes me so mad that so many beauty companies aren’t seeming to do their bit! x

30. November 11, 2018 / 8:28 pm

That’s quite a few empties you have there! I have heard so many good things about Estée Lauder’s foundation! I have seen Bilou everywhere. Too bad you can’t use it everywhere on your body!

• November 12, 2018 / 10:19 am

I’ve got through so many more products than usual by sticking to the same ones rather than flitting like I usually do! It’s one of my top foundations!x

31. November 11, 2018 / 9:12 pm

I love reading these kinds of posts! I might have to try the L’Oreal eyeliner out some point because I’m looking for a new one! Great post, I love the photography! X

Ashleigh | https://ashleighwrites.co.uk

• November 12, 2018 / 10:32 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it, the L’Oreal is one of my favorites it’s so easy to apply and doesn’t budge either! x

32. November 11, 2018 / 11:04 pm

Lots of great information! I jump back and forth between so many products – always have to try something new! Over the years I’ve found a few things that I’ve stuck with, though. Thank you for the reviews!

• November 12, 2018 / 10:36 am

Thanks Ruth! I’m the same which is why I’ve been making an effort to clear out some of my products! x

33. November 12, 2018 / 10:49 pm

Love the photos and what a great blog. I have never heard of one like this but it is an awesome idea! I always try to get the most out of my products as well!

• November 13, 2018 / 9:16 am

Thank you, I’m glad you like it! x

34. November 13, 2018 / 7:13 pm

Many thanks for this shopping list. I will definitely have a look to some of the items.
    Estee Lauder Double Wear has been in my bucket list like forever.

• November 14, 2018 / 9:37 am

Of course! It’s one of my absolute favourites x

35. November 14, 2018 / 9:09 am

I have the wake me up concealer. And although I like it, it’s true what you said. It’s nothing wow. I’ll probably get it again just for a light concealer when my dark circles aren’t too bad!!

• November 14, 2018 / 10:44 am

I’m glad I’m not alone in thinking its average! I have quite bad dark circles so expected more of this! x

36. Michelle Blackadar
    November 14, 2018 / 8:25 pm

love emtpies posts! it’s nice to see what people used up and how they really feel about the products! I have enjoyed everything from the L’oreal True Match line that I have but I think the Maybelline Fit Me line would have to be my favorite, same idea behind the products. thanks for sharing soph! x

mich / simplymich.com

• November 14, 2018 / 8:55 pm

I do too! I like the Maybelline concealer but haven’t tried any of the rest of the range so will have to, thanks for the recommendation! x

37. November 14, 2018 / 9:13 pm

Sounds like you have used some amazing products! I don’t have enough empties to do a post this month. I really want to try out the Estee Lauder double wear foundation, heard so many amazing things!

Melissa 🌙 | Moonlight Mel

• November 14, 2018 / 9:20 pm

Some of them definitely have been! The Estee Lauder is one of my favourite foundations so I’d definitely recommend! x

38. November 14, 2018 / 9:32 pm

I adore the Bilou Shower Foam packaging, it is so bright and fun! I’ve always been tempted to try it but may give it a miss if it isn’t good for sensitive areas! Ooh I love Simple products, they are so affordable and kind to the skin, I am currently using their face wash and moisturizer too. No Plastic November sounds like such a great idea, I’ll look forward to reading how you got on and would love to hear what environmentally conscious brands you discover. Thanks for sharing Soph, great post as always <3 xx

• November 15, 2018 / 11:06 am

It’s so aesthetically pleasing isn’t it?! I think that Simple is a really good affordable brand, it’s great to hear that you’re enjoying some of their other products too! Thanks Bexa, I’ll be sure to keep you updated with it! x

39. November 14, 2018 / 10:42 pm

Great selection of items dear, I particularly like the body section. The Rihanna perfume sounds wonderful as I love the scent of coconuts. I’ve also had the pleasure of using the Bilou shower foam, once again the scent was refreshing. It was a great product for shaving, so for that purpose, I would purchase it again.

Tx. // Tajinder Kaur

• November 15, 2018 / 4:05 pm

I’m glad you think so. I love the smell of coconut too, and I totally agree that it would be good for shaving, but my shaving foam is quite a bit cheaper so I’ll be sticking to that! x

40. November 14, 2018 / 11:17 pm

Estee Lauder is one of my favourite foundations, I use the double wear light as I find the original too heavy for everyday wear! I think it’s so important that we use up products especially now with how many come in plastic packaging, you’ve done really well to use up so many products!

• November 15, 2018 / 6:30 pm

It’s amazing isn’t it!? I love the normal and extra coverage but haven’t tried the light yet! I totally agree with you, thanks! x

41. November 15, 2018 / 12:18 pm

Great photos! I may just have to splurge on the Estee Lauder since everyone seems to love it so much! Is it good for dry skin?

• November 15, 2018 / 6:34 pm

I have combination skin but it’s much drier over the Winter and it works for me perfectly all year round! x

42. November 15, 2018 / 6:57 pm

I am a beauty blogger and can identify with a lot of these products especially the Estee Lauder foundation!

• November 15, 2018 / 7:20 pm

I’m glad you like it too x