Boot Season & Mindful Fashion | The S Edit

Boot Season & Mindful Fashion | The S Edit

It’s officially boot season, but if I’m totally honest I’ve been wearing them for a while now. It’s no secret that I prefer Summer fashion, but I have to admit that boots are one of my favourite type of shoe to style. There’s a pair for every occasion and despite my collection not being very diverse in colour (if you don’t like black click off now), I’m confident that I have most of the styles I need.

You may already know that recently I’ve been on a mission to become more planet-friendly. After watching Fashions Dirty Secrets, I’m trying to be more conscious about the fashion I buy into. I love updating my wardrobe, so this definitely isn’t a black and white, never shopping again type of thing. I’m just being more mindful and investing in fashion that’s a) more responsible where possible and b) that I love and will get a lot of use out of. My aversion to the cold means that I do actually tend to invest more in Winter fashion like coats and boots. The extra cost incurred with better quality means that I expect them to last.

Boot Season

Maintenance

After pulling most of my boots out of storage, it was apparent that they needed a little TLC. To a generation that’s accustomed to replacing instead of fixing, the idea of polishing shoes is a pretty old-fashioned one. Discovering products from Boot Rescue made me regret not doing it sooner. Their wipes are specially designed to safely and effectively clean leather and suede, and they really make an easy job of it. After wiping the boot down and removing any dirt, I used their wax to buff out scuffs and to add a little extra shine. It’s crazy how this simple process can make a boot look brand new again. Unfortunately, the wax is only available in Canada right now, but I have my fingers crossed that it won’t be long until it’s also available here in the UK.

Boot Season

In the above image, only the boot on the right has been cleaned and polished. Unfortunately, I haven’t quite been able to capture how much of a dramatic difference it does make. If you pay specific attention to the toes of the boots, you can see that I’ve buffed out the slight scuffs which are still visible on the left boot. The cleaning process leaves the leather a little darker and looking much, much less worn.

There are three styles of boot that I’ve been really enjoying recently; bar my Uggs which I love but wear as a matter of warmth over style:

The Ankle Boot

I find that my ankle boots are the most versatile and easy to wear of them all. I tend to wear these more often than any other too as they’re the most comfortable and can be worn with almost anything. Mine are last season ASOS (similar) and Kurt Geiger (similar) and after a freshen up, they’re both still going strong.

The Knee High

I adore knee-high boots, but we have a very love-hate relationship. I really struggle to find ones which nicely fit my calves and aren’t too baggy. These are from Nine West (at Kurt Geiger) from a couple of seasons ago and they’ve been the perfect boot. I’ve dressed them up and down and in-between. Of all my boots, these are definitely the ones that needed the most attention. If I’m off for a walk and at risk of getting muddy, these are the ones I reach for.

The Sock Boot

Boot Season

This style is back for another season in the limelight, and I’m all for it. For anyone as cold-blooded as I am, the sock boot is an essential aspect of a Winter out out wardrobe. When it comes to looking elegant and avoiding any shoe that leaves your feet so cold they’re numb, the sock boot is one of the only viable options. Wear them with (thin) socks and they don’t only look great but they feel it too, it’s a win-win. Mine were kindly gifted to me this season by Koi Footwear.

Boot Season

*  This post is part of a paid collaboration with Boot Rescue. It contains PR Samples which I have been sent to review and give my honest opinion about. Please read my full disclaimer for more information.

• November 15, 2018 / 6:38 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you like them! x

1. November 15, 2018 / 5:20 pm

The sock boots are so pretty! Loving the chunky heels! I have been wearing low boots a lot this fall! this post put me in the shoe shopping mood!

• November 15, 2018 / 6:45 pm

Thank you! Ooh I love low boots too x

2. November 15, 2018 / 5:28 pm

I’ve always been one to invest when it comes to boots and shoes. I tend to get way too attached to my favourites so I never want to have to replace them. I hope the wax comes to the UK soon, I usually take mine to my local cobbler every winter to get them back into shape x

• November 15, 2018 / 6:52 pm

I’m glad you are too! I hope it comes to the UK soon too, I’m really impressed by it! x

3. November 15, 2018 / 5:41 pm

I don’t have many boots left these days and it was just this morning that I resolved to buy a new pair or two… ankle and potentially knee high. This is the fault of Katie Snooks and Kate Murnane as it was on their Instagram accounts that I saw a couple of pairs that I love! Don’t know where they are from though so need to go on a hunt.

Boot rescue looks good too! Can see the difference!

Amy

• November 15, 2018 / 6:57 pm

I hope you find some that you love! x

4. November 15, 2018 / 5:44 pm

Boots are definitely my favourite shoe to wear, I regularly wear ankle boots – I find them so comfy, and they help keep my feet warm. I really like the look of the ‘sock boot’ – as I feel the cold quite a lot, I think they would be perfect for me!

Amy,

• November 15, 2018 / 7:03 pm

They are mine too! I adore sock boots and would love a pair with a stiletto heel too! x

5. November 15, 2018 / 6:13 pm

I love your outfit, Sophie! Your boots in the first few photos are to die for! Thanks for sharing; hope all is well!

• November 15, 2018 / 7:15 pm

Thank you! I love them x

6. November 15, 2018 / 6:56 pm

Love boot season! It’s a plus to living in the North and getting a lot of wear put of them.

• November 15, 2018 / 7:18 pm

I do too! I’m glad you get a lot of wear out of yours!

7. November 15, 2018 / 7:00 pm

I didn’t actually know about sock boots before! This looks so cool although I imaged it wasn’t actually that thick? 🤔 but it looks very stylish nonetheless! I definitely saw the difference between the one with boot rescue and the one without and it looks amazing 🙂

• November 15, 2018 / 7:26 pm

I love them! I’m glad you can see the difference, it’s even more dramatic in person so I’m very impressed! x

8. November 15, 2018 / 8:00 pm

I am a Boot hoarder I love them. I have short boots. Walking boots, Knee length boots and timberland boots. I love autumn, as I actually get to wear them. 💚 This post. Mummythomas.blog x

• November 15, 2018 / 9:32 pm

This post was definitely for you then! I’m glad you like it x

9. November 15, 2018 / 10:54 pm

Wow I need to get a hold of ‘Boot Rescue’! I love those sock boots. I’ve had a pair for 5 years now and they never let me down, they reappear every winter. 🙂

• November 16, 2018 / 7:50 am

It’s amazing stuff! Thank you, this is my first pair so I’m very late on the trend but I love them! x

10. November 16, 2018 / 8:24 am

Love message in this post! So important to be more mindful of your shopping habits! Also, absolutely loving the s sock boots! 😍
    Beaulife.org

• November 16, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Thank you, I’m so glad you agree! x

11. November 16, 2018 / 9:31 am

You look stunning! I have a major love for boots during this season, I have a range of different boots for different occasions and days haha! xo

Pinar | http://www.beautybakingbella.com

• November 16, 2018 / 9:32 pm

Thank you! I do too, I absolutely love them and find them so easy to wear! x

12. November 16, 2018 / 1:19 pm

I love wearing boots around this time of the year, there’s nothing better than skinny jeans and some nice boots! I can totally see the difference in the two boots, the right one looks more shiny and almost brand new!

• November 16, 2018 / 9:37 pm

I totally agree, they’re so easy to wear aren’t they?! I’m glad you can see a difference, it’s even more dramatic in person so I’m really impressed with Boot Rescue! x

13. November 16, 2018 / 8:58 pm

I really love your blog! It so professional and amazing and I’d love to have my blog look even a little like yours one day. I love your photos and you are so pretty too.
    Boots are my favourite thing to wear and I wish I could wear them all year round. I live in boots! I’ve been looking for some boot cleaner recently so I’ll be checking this out once it hopefully arrives in the UK!

• November 16, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Aw thats so sweet, thank you. I love them too, the wipes are available on Amazon and are linked if you want to try them, it’s just the polish which is unfortunately not available here yet! x

14. November 16, 2018 / 9:08 pm

I love boots! They are such a classy addition to any outfit and really boost my confidence. You look great and have some very helpful tips here. 🙂

• November 16, 2018 / 9:40 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you think so x

15. November 16, 2018 / 9:36 pm

I always tell you how much I love your style when you do fashion posts and I still love it after reading this! Boots are one of my favourite shoes to wear too and I totally agree sock boots are the best for winter nights out! They’re my only comfy heeled shoes that will also keep my feet warm, I have two pairs from Primark and they’re so good!

• November 16, 2018 / 9:43 pm

Aw thank you Jess! I’m glad you love boots as much as I do, they’re just so effortless aren’t they?! x

16. November 16, 2018 / 10:10 pm

There’s something about the smell of boot polish that says a good winter! I used to love my sock boots – I wore them until they dropped off my feet, literally!

• November 16, 2018 / 10:33 pm

I totally agree but this polish actually doesn’t really have a smell which is less nostalgic but much more practical! x

17. November 16, 2018 / 11:21 pm

I love the way you framed this post. It’s so true that our generation usually just takes the easier route and replaces things when they get worn. Thanks for sharing, girl!

Kaitlin // http://www.thecuriouslemon.com/

• November 17, 2018 / 8:43 pm

Thank you! I totally agree, we’re so lazy and that needs to change x

18. November 17, 2018 / 5:32 am

You look awesome!

19. Christine
    November 17, 2018 / 8:08 am

I love busting out the boots for the season. How do you feel about though high boots? My feelings are double. X

20. November 17, 2018 / 8:25 am

Those boots are all super cute!! I’m the same as you, I prefer summer fashion, but loveee boots; they’re so fun and easy to style.

Lexie x
    whatlexieloves.com

21. November 17, 2018 / 4:12 pm

Loving the sock boots! I’ve yet to try a pair of those but love the close-fitting style. I have really skinny legs and struggle to find flat Chelsea boots that don’t make me look like a golf club! Yours are really lovely though! love your outfit choices. Perfect for the colder days. I’ve got a pair of Diesel ankle boots which I bring out each year!

Samantha x

• November 17, 2018 / 9:01 pm

Thank you! I’m so glad you like the choices. I bet they’re great, I find that investing in things like boots really worthwhile and I’m glad you’ve found the same x