What’s Really in my Handbag

What’s Really in my Handbag

I’m a little (okay a lot) late on the What’s in my Handbag post trend. Partly because I’m nosey by nature, which is why I’ve been disappointed by the majority of this type of post; which I find to typically be carefully constructed What I Want People to Think is in my Handbag’s instead. In a bid to keep things real, I wanted to share what’s actually in my handbag. Now, anyone else as nosey as me has a real-life version to peruse, which in my opinion is much more interesting. If nothing else, it will hopefully make you feel a little better about yourself if those posts made you question whether you’re gross for having hairs and crumbs and old stray sweets that definitely aren’t safe to eat in the bottom of your own; FYI, you totally are, but so am I.

Handbag Contents I’d Share

The above image has clearly been constructed so that you think my life is more organised than it is. I haven’t just tipped out the contents, allowing them to miraculously (not) fall face up and aesthetically scattered. I’d be happy to show the world only about half of what’s in my bag and would simply pretend that what remains doesn’t exist. I’d also maybe add a few things to make myself appear more put-together or interesting. The following is likely to make the edit:

Beauty

Sharing some of the beauty products I carry with me almost makes it look like I have my life together. Hand-cream, a Lush Charity lotion Pot (which I’d pretend I actually use) and a tangle-teezer. I also have a gorgeous looking and very handy Twist & Spritz perfume atomiser. This looks so perfect because I was only sent it in the last week or so and haven’t had the chance to scratch or get it grubby yet.

Essentials

Okay, so tissues and hand-sanitiser aren’t exactly glamorous. But I’m not ashamed to have good personal hygiene and be prepared for any unexpected tears (or more likely, spills). My boyfriend’s sunglasses and earphones are a rather strange addition, but one I’m not exactly embarrassed to share.

Handbag

Mulberry Purse

Jamie surprised me with my Mulberry for my 21st birthday only shortly after we’d become a couple, so it’s of my most sentimental items. I have to admit that it’s also one of my prettiest. I’d wanted this for a long while and still love it over two years later (despite having to pay to mend the gold Mulberry logo, as it snapped). This is one of the things I’d stick at the forefront of any images.

The Things I’d Leave Out

This is how the contents of my bag looks when they’re actually tipped out and left unedited and unarranged (not so pretty, eh?). Its also much more difficult to identify anything though, so I guess that’s justification for the laid out shots.

Handbag

Makeup Bag

I really did have to fight the urge to feature a different makeup bag in these images. I have many aesthetically pleasing ones but they’re exactly that because they aren’t bashed around in my bag on a daily basis. My BOSS one (free with a perfume gift set) is old and grubby, but it does the job. It contains random lipsticks, a concealer, eyeliner, mascara, tiny scissors and mini eyelash glue. Without fail it also contains a lip balm and ibuprofen (just in case). In a picture-perfect post, I’d have been likely to give you a glimpse.

Handbag

‘I Don’t Know Why They’re In There’

Amongst what I’d politely describe as the miscellaneous section of my handbag, I found a stray tampon, an empty change banking bag, a second packet of tissues, a straw, a hand wipe from a food place, a teaspoon, hay fever tablets and a battered kit kat and butter mint. It’s like a bizarre everyday version of that ‘I packed my bag’ car game. I mean hayfever tablets are handy but completely out of season. I probably packed the teaspoon in anticipation of eating a yoghurt at work; which must have been a few weeks ago at least, seeing as I can’t remember doing so.

Handbag

Pretty images and aesthetically pleasing content is enjoyable both to create and to consume. I fully support the right to a creative license, but I’m also passionate about maintaining a high level of integrity and honesty. Achieving the fine line between both really is a skill that’s worth honing. Whilst much of my content features images that show the best light, I think it’s fun to be blunt sometimes too. I’d love to know whether you enjoyed this type of post or whether you’re a fan of the picture-perfect?

* This post contains gifted items which I have been sent to review and give my honest opinion about. Please read my full disclaimer for more information.

1. November 29, 2018 / 5:17 pm

You’ve got much more in my handbag than I do! I jut got my credit card, my phone, keys and balm ahah! Headphones are always an essential!

• November 29, 2018 / 6:55 pm

I really wish I had less too, it gets so heavy sometimes! x

2. November 29, 2018 / 5:23 pm

The teaspoon made me laugh! the bottom of my bag is full of old receipts and empty chocolate bar packs x

• November 29, 2018 / 6:57 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only messy one haha! x

3. November 29, 2018 / 5:29 pm

asdfghj this actually really made me laugh! Finally a handbag that shows what really is in a handbag!

• November 29, 2018 / 6:59 pm

I’m glad! No lies here I’m afraid haha! x

4. November 29, 2018 / 5:51 pm

I really love this post Soph! It is so refreshing to see the whole picture and I am glad that my bag is very similar to yours with the randomness! I have stray tampons, chocolate bars, old train tickets, pills, tissues, receipts, everything, ha ha! Plus everything is always tangled up in my headphones and it always takes me ages to find anything in there. Thank you for sharing and keeping it real, really enjoyed this post <3 xx

• November 29, 2018 / 7:05 pm

I’m so glad! Its good to hear that you relate, I was hoping that this was the response I’d get and not just people judging me for being gross or messy haha! x

5. November 29, 2018 / 6:05 pm

I absolutely loved reading this because it’s so honest and I know we all have a handbag like that! I’ll be honest because I change my bag so often I take the bare minimal with me everywhere because I can’t be bothered to keep swapping everything over so it’s literally purse, keys and phone with me most days. Sometimes I’m lucky enough to remember an umbrella or lip balm but most days I have to suffer and then I have a tonne of pens and hair grips because lets face it what girl doesn’t?!

• November 29, 2018 / 7:09 pm

I’m so glad! Maybe that’s whats wrong with my strategy, I keep the same handbag for at least a month (unless I’m going out and then I might chuck some things in a clutch) so I’m rarely forced to clear it out! x

6. November 29, 2018 / 6:24 pm

That mulberry purse is gorgeous! I want one haha. I’m constantly finding strange thinks in my bags and I have no clue how they got there. The other day I found a plastic Tesco bag inside and it definitely wasn’t mine! What a great post, thanks for sharing 😊 X

• November 29, 2018 / 7:11 pm

Thank you, I love it! Haha, I’m glad I’m not the only one who has a slightly chaotic bag! x

7. November 29, 2018 / 6:42 pm

Haha, I love this post because it’s honest. A lot of these posts only show the ‘good stuff’ and not much mess.

• November 29, 2018 / 7:15 pm

I’m so glad! Yeah tell me about it, well it’s all honest in this one! x

8. November 29, 2018 / 7:28 pm

Fab post, it made me giggle – I’m the exact same with random things at the bottom of my bag! I had to clean mine out the other day and I found a lolipop, and some mint sweets that I got given at work that I just hadn’t eaten – dread to think how long they’ve been in there! I always put things in there that I don’t mind getting a bit dirty too, I find that I’ll accidentally drop a lipstick in there without being in a make-up bag and then when I eventually get it out it’s covered in the crumbs that are probably left in there from cereal bars and things! Anyways, great post, thanks for sharing and being more real!!

• November 30, 2018 / 9:55 am

I’m so glad! Haha it’s been nice to hear that a lot of other people are as unorganised as I am x

9. November 29, 2018 / 8:47 pm

I honestly appreciated this post of what’s really realistically in your purse! Picture perfect is nice but I won’t be able to relate to the author, as my bag is far from picture perfect. The Mulberry purse is lovely!! That is so sweet of your boyfriend! I have a ton of used gum wrappers with the gum in them LOL. Thank you for sharing!

• November 30, 2018 / 9:59 am

I’m so glad! That was the aim so I’m glad you relate. Thank you, I love it too x

10. November 29, 2018 / 10:57 pm

I love how honest this post is! It is nice to see real things in someone’s handbag! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

11. November 30, 2018 / 8:46 am

I used to love watching these videos on Youtube! I love how you have a spoon haha! I could do with one of those money bags because there’s always coins thrown at the bottom of my bag :’)

G

• November 30, 2018 / 10:14 am

It’s a proper throwback post isn’t it? haha. Its interesting that so many of us accumulate such random things! x

• November 30, 2018 / 10:16 am

Haha, I have to say I’m pretty good on that front! x

12. November 30, 2018 / 9:01 am

The bottom of my bags are always soooo messy too! Love such an honest and real post ❤️

• November 30, 2018 / 10:32 am

I’m glad to hear it, haha! x

13. November 30, 2018 / 11:27 am

I love that you showed exactly what was in the bag, tissues and all!

14. November 30, 2018 / 2:52 pm

LOVE the Mulberry purse! What a lovely and thoughtful bf you have. My bag is an absolute disgrace, you could sink a small ship with all the receipts I have in there. Having a daughter only increases the bits of crap residing in my bag. For example – She wrote her Xmas list and I put it in my bag, I was in town the other day, rummaged for the list, pulled it out but then thought, her handwriting looks a little scrappy… Yup! It was the previous year’s list. That’s how bad my bag is, literally never clean it out from one year to the next haha. Lovely post as always Sophie x

Samantha | https://thebeautyspyglass.com

• November 30, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Thank you, I love it too. Haha you weren’t joking were you, thats so funny, it’s lucky you realised and didn’t buy her a whole load of last years presents! x

15. November 30, 2018 / 5:59 pm

I always have to have a book in mine! Always

16. November 30, 2018 / 6:17 pm

I don’t have a lot in my handbag because I try not to need one very often. I usually make sure I’ve got my purse and keys but I do like to have lip balm, hand cream and my earphones too. They are the essentials if I use a handbag!

• November 30, 2018 / 6:19 pm

I wish I didn’t feel the need to carry a bag so often- I don’t leave the house without it! Those are all good essentials! x

17. November 30, 2018 / 8:09 pm

I honestly have gotten so tired of using a bag and a wallet, especially on nights out, that I’ve done my best to stop using them. I carry a work bag that has pretty much the same stuff as yours, and always a phone charger. Most other times I’ll fill my pockets with my ID and credit card, and back pocket with my phone. Sometimes I’ll add my library card if I know I have to make a stop. If women’s clothing had roomier pockets, maybe I’d fill them with other essentials. 😉

Thanks for sharing!

• November 30, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I don’t blame you at all, I hate having to carry one with me at all times! I’m a bit of a worrier so always like to be over prepared! x

18. Gemma
    November 30, 2018 / 9:01 pm

It’s crazy how much is in your handbag until you clean it out! Yours I would say is pretty normal, love the thought of creating an actual what’s in my handbag. The random items you have inside reminds me of when someone at work shares what’s in their bag, they’ve got kids so have all kinds of random stuff!

Gemma | http://www.anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com

• December 1, 2018 / 12:45 pm

Tell me about it! I haven’t got kids as an excuse, but it is a good one! x

19. November 30, 2018 / 9:46 pm

Loved this post – it’s nice to see a real, relatable handbag post for once!! In my bag I just have loads and loads of receipts haha, and in my school bag; God knows what’s at the bottom of that.

Lexie x

• December 2, 2018 / 10:40 pm

Thank you, I’m so glad! I have to say I’m pretty good at not keeping hold of receipts, but that clearly doesn’t stop me accumulating a lot of other random stuff! x

20. November 30, 2018 / 9:56 pm

Your handbag is very stylish! and my goodness it has loads of room too, my bag is quite small LOL! I also carry my hand cream, handwash and tissues, they sure are must-haves!

Melissa 🌙 | Moonlight Mel

• November 30, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Thank you! I actually only just bought a roomier bag as I find I have limited space in this one so that shows you just how much unnecessary stuff I carry around haha! x

21. November 30, 2018 / 10:30 pm

Oh my god, I love this! When I saw the teaspoon I laughed a bit. It’s just as random as what’s in my bag except I have a lot of old sweet wrappers (I have a sweet tooth, lol), hairs and more hairs, bobbles, pads, crumbs from god-knows-what, and absolutely anything else you can think of. I definitely prefer these more honest posts. I get what you mean though, it can be so tempting to give out a half-truth and only show the best bits – everyone else is! x

Alicia | http://www.aliciabynature.co.uk

• December 1, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Thank you! Haha I’m glad I’m not alone in the random contents of a bag x

22. December 1, 2018 / 12:08 am

The Mulberry purse is so pretty. My bag is usually messy with receipts but I’ve since swapped to a smaller handbag as it doesn’t get as messy so quickly. My uni bag, on the other hand, ends up with all sorts of unnecessary belongings in it.

• December 1, 2018 / 5:48 pm

Thank you! That’s such a good idea, I’m one of those people who thinks she needs to carry around quite a lot to be prepared- I wish I could get on with a smaller bag though x

23. December 1, 2018 / 12:47 pm

This is such a relatable post! The contents are so similar to what I would find in mine also. I even have the gold tangle teaser and earphones. Tissues, pills, receipts, bus tickets, parking tickets (not the penalising kind!), hand sanitizer, a big purse and obligatory lip balm! I always find so much littered throughout the bottom of my bag that I can never find thing thing I actually need! Interestingly, the rage at not being able to find anything in my handbag had me clearing it out just yesterday. That’s how I have an intimate knowledge of exactly what was in there! Great post Soph!

Amy

• December 1, 2018 / 5:46 pm

I’m so glad you think so! Haha yours sounds so similar to mine- I cleared mine out right after writing this post but I doubt it will stay pristine for long! x

24. December 2, 2018 / 1:32 am

I’m sorry why is there a spoon in your bag!!! That made me laugh so much 😂

• December 2, 2018 / 10:31 pm

Haha I’m glad it made you laugh! I reckon it’s from the plan of a yoghurt! x

25. December 2, 2018 / 6:09 am

I always love seeing what people have in their handbags! Pretty neat that you kept things to a minimal. Hey, sometimes, you need a tissue and it’s helpful when you have some on-hand! Free beauty bags are the best! I used to have the same sunglasses as you!

• December 2, 2018 / 10:36 pm

I do too, I’m so nosey! I do try my best haha x

26. December 2, 2018 / 7:55 pm

Hahaha brilliant – mines always full of old receipts and tissues – and I do have a teaspoon in mine lol xx

• December 2, 2018 / 10:00 pm

I reckon a lot of handbags are haha! Ah that’s amazing, I thought that was a pretty unique addition! x