How Blogmas Could Hurt Your Blog & Why I’m Not Participating

How Blogmas Could Hurt Your Blog & Why I’m Not Participating

As I sit down to write this post I’m a little worried that I’ll come off rather Grinch-like. I really do love Christmas and I enjoy its content as much as the next person. Blogmas though? I could do without.

There are a lot of articles out there full of Blogmas post ideas which discuss how much more traffic it will drive to your blog. While in the short run this may be true, traffic driven by festive content is inevitably short-lived. That in itself isn’t enough of a reason to cancel Blogmas, but after considering it alongside the other reasons, I’ve decided that it’s definitely not for me. Here’s why it’s totally okay if it isn’t for you either.

Poor Quality Blogmas Content

Last year I cut my Blogmas content short and cancelled the planned 24 days in favour of 12. Without being cruel, I think that a lot of bloggers should have done the same. I read some really bad Blogmas content from bloggers that I usually love, which has completely deterred me from even attempting it this year.

SAYING THAT, after looking back at my own Blogmas content from last year- it’s not great. I can see how much my content has improved so apologies to anyone who put up with it!

Don’t let the pressure of Blogmas and the fear of failing it prompt you to publish content that falls short of your usual quality. If you do succeed in enticing new readers with your festive content, you don’t want the first of your posts that they read to be poorly written, rushed or without direction. They may have contributed to a spike in this months traffic, but they’re unlikely to return.

Burning Yourself Out for the New Year

24 posts doesn’t sound like a lot of work until you dissect it. Once you’ve considered how much time each post will take you to write up, produce images for, proof-read and promote, it becomes much more overwhelming. I noticed a lot of people publicly contemplating taking part in Blogmas a mere few weeks before December; it’s just not a good idea. Leaving all of that work so late is likely to leave you with poor quality posts. Successfully dodging this could leave you completely burnt out and unmotivated to get working on new year content.

Blogmas

An Oversaturated Market

The plethora of Blogmas post ideas content is enough to indicate how oversaturated Christmas content really is. While I love both reading and creating it, if you’re having to head to posts like these for inspiration then I’d argue that your content isn’t going to be original enough to spark interest. While festive content proves popular, it’s ill-advised to churn out the same old posts as everyone else lacking in ideas.

Christmas is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Christmas is busy; there are plenty of fun and festive things (as well as the usual chores) to keep yourself occupied. Not wanting to spend the whole holiday season creating content for others rather than simply enjoying it is nothing to feel guilty about. Your time is better spent catching up with friends and watching Christmas films with family.

November 18

After all of that, I genuinely look forward to reading as much good quality Christmas content as I can get my mitts on! Congratulations if you’ve been organised enough to smash Blogmas; blog and well-being still intact. To reiterate though, if you’re not one of those people, then don’t waste your precious time worrying about it, maintain pride in what you HAVE managed and focus on enjoying December!

1. December 1, 2018 / 10:47 am

The whole reason I won’t do blogmas is because I don’t feel like it would be quality content! I just feel like it’s far too much effort and I’d rather enjoy December than worrying about posting every day.

• December 1, 2018 / 12:39 pm

I’m so glad you relate! Have a wonderful December not stressing about blog content! x

2. December 1, 2018 / 3:12 pm

I feel quality is more important than quantity where content is concerned.

3. December 1, 2018 / 3:19 pm

I completely relate. It might be useful for a new blogger trying to find their voice and an audience, BUT: insufficient time for editing; the hustle (as you beautifully point out) of roping in all the visuals and material–all amid the hub-bub of he holly-daze will impact quality. Blogmas as you will, I’ll Kwanz-blog instead. 🙂 Six days sounds more my speed!

• December 1, 2018 / 5:17 pm

I’m so glad so agree! Six days sounds much more manageable to me too! x

• December 1, 2018 / 6:14 pm

This is so true!! The main reason I’m not participating is I simply don’t have time, however they are all valid reasons contributing to why Blogmas just won’t be happening on my blog this year. Christmas is a time where I can really creative great content and take beautiful photos, I don’t want to be rushing potentially good posts.

Lexie x

4. December 1, 2018 / 5:07 pm

Oversaturated is so so true, as are the rest of the points you make. I feel like it’s a lot of the same content we see all over 🙁

• December 1, 2018 / 5:41 pm

Thank you, it’s nice to hear that someone agrees with me! x

5. December 1, 2018 / 5:17 pm

I totally agree with this! I feel like you have to be really careful when posting daily and plan your content so well to make sure it’s up to your usual standard. It took me forever to plan Vegmas and that was only 12 days. I agree with the saturation thing too. There are far too many similar posts, I sometimes lose interest completely which is sad. I think it’s great if people have the time to do it well and can put a unique spin on it. But it’s not easy! x

• December 2, 2018 / 10:27 pm

I’m so glad! Your Vegmas was great but you could tell that it had been really well planned- there were no generic posts and the quality was up to your usual standard! I totally agree- it’s great if done properly but there are a few things to consider before going ahead! x

6. December 1, 2018 / 5:36 pm

I thought I wanted to Blogmas this year, but I guess I just wanted to see if I could keep up with other bloggers. This makes me feel better. It really seems like quality is sacrificed for quality, so I think I’ll modify it and give myself time to try 12 posts with ample time between them. Thank you for writing this!

Alex| californiapollution.com

• December 2, 2018 / 10:58 pm

I’m so glad this has made you feel better. I love festive content as do a lot of people, so adjusting Blogmas to be more realistic for your own schedule is a great idea x

7. December 1, 2018 / 6:03 pm

This is so beautifully written 💓 and I totally agree! It definitely doesn’t seem like it would be as draining as it really is ☹️ Festive content works better than full Blogmas I think!

• December 2, 2018 / 10:04 pm

Thank you! I totally agree, I absolutely love festive content but a full blogmas sometimes pushes it x

8. December 1, 2018 / 7:40 pm

So relatable. This is only my second Christmas with my blog and again, I won’t be taking part in Blogmas. I often see tweets where bloggers are panic struck over the pressure to produce a post for publishing every day. The content is rushed and poor quality, I’ve no interest at all. I love Christmas content as you do but I’d much rather read quality over quantity any day. For those doing Blogmas that’s fine, but for me, I always think it’s something newbies do just because they think they should!

Gorgeous photos! x

Samantha | https://thebeautyspyglass.com

• December 2, 2018 / 9:47 pm

I’m so glad you think so! I completely agree, I think it’s all well and good if bloggers actually plan way ahead and produce content of their usual standard but unfortunately it seems like it’s not generally the case! x

9. December 1, 2018 / 8:14 pm

Totally agree with this! 24 posts always seemed way too overwhelming.

10. December 1, 2018 / 9:32 pm

Oversaturation is something I was definitely thinking about before I decided to commit to Blogmas again this year. Although I chose to do it again this year, I do agree with your points about quality and unique content – it has to be something you feel proud to put your name to, or at least something that you believe is different enough to stand out and add value.

• December 2, 2018 / 9:51 pm

I totally agree, I’ll make sure to keep up with your content- it’s great that you’ve considered over saturation and I’m sure your blog will reflect that! x

11. December 1, 2018 / 9:34 pm

Exactly! I love longer blog posts – both reading them and writing them – so Blogmas posts don’t usually interest me that much. As you said, they can be a bit samey samey too. Although I am excited to see a few of my faves producing more content than usual tbh

• December 2, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I do too! I think that some creators absolutely pull it off and it’s not a bad concept on the whole. It definitely isn’t something to take lightly though x

12. December 1, 2018 / 10:06 pm

I can totally relate to this! The whole reason I’m not doing blogmas is simply because I know that it would stress me out so much and I can’t put out quality content when I’m stressed! Simple as! Great post!

Bukola Veronica,

• December 2, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I’m so glad! Quality over quantity- definitely x

13. December 2, 2018 / 12:45 am

Omg I’m so glad someone is on the same page as me with this! I just couldn’t do Blogmas, I know my content wouldn’t be good enough and the thought of having to promote all those posts makes my anxiety kick in, and I don’t even have to do them.
    That said, I love reading other people’s and I’ll be popping some Christmassy bits up but only when I feel like it!

This is such a great post, thank you for sharing.

Soph x

• December 2, 2018 / 10:30 pm

This is great to hear. Oh of course, I absolutely love festive content in general and some Blogmas posts are great, there just is a risk with it if under-prepared etc! x

14. December 2, 2018 / 1:30 am

I love this so much 😊 it makes me feel so much better about not doing blogmas. Although I know some people will do an amazing job and will have so much fun with it, it also means I can support loads by not doing it myself!

• December 2, 2018 / 11:00 pm

Thank you, I’m so glad it made you feel better. I also love your mindset of having more time and using it to support others- I’ll definitely be trying to do this too x

15. December 2, 2018 / 3:03 am

I love your realistic approach to this, Soph. I do agree and can see that blogmas can really make people come up with a bunch of topics and write them on such short notice. And because they feel they have to do it everyday, poor quality content is put out there. I am doing blogmas but I think I’m doing it more so that I can say I’ve tried it at least once! I don’t know if I’ll like it or not, but I won’t know til it’s done. I definitely dislike the idea of spending all day and my free time writing posts when I could relax and watch a wonderful movie and snuggle in bed. I might make it to only 12 days of blogmas, but I’ll see! Thank you for sharing. xx

• December 2, 2018 / 11:05 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you can relate. I look forward to keeping up with your Blogmas content, I completely understand where you’re coming from as that’s why I gave it a go last December. Have a great Christmas period and make sure you’re looking after yourself first and foremost, even if that means scaling down to 12 days! x

16. December 2, 2018 / 6:05 am

I’ve seen a lot of Blogmas content out there but could never bring myself to participate because it takes more commitment than I can give @__@. I love the idea in general where bloggers are putting in more content. 24 posts is A LOT! Especially when it’s all around a central theme. Making one is already hard as it is! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• December 2, 2018 / 10:38 pm

I don’t blame you at all, it’s definitely a hell of a lot of work! I love the concept too, it’s just a shame that some bloggers who clearly don’t have the time feel pressured into taking part! Festive content is great and I’m definitely all for more of it, I just think it could be done in a more realistic way sometimes x

17. December 2, 2018 / 11:45 am

This!!! Thank goodness someone said it – I love the idea of it but I know for a fact that the quality of my posts would be awful so why bother! I’d much rather put time and effort into a few good quality posts than spread myself too thin!

• December 2, 2018 / 11:09 pm

Haha thank you so much, I did question whether too as I was a little worried about backlash or offending anyone who is taking part but so far I’ve had a great response. I agree with you, quality over quantity any day! x

18. December 2, 2018 / 3:02 pm

I agree, I much prefer quality over quantity. I really enjoy Christmas related posts, but I can only tolerate so much! Haha, if everyone I followed did Blogmas that would absolutely do my head in.

Rachel || anotherstationanothermile.com

• December 2, 2018 / 11:13 pm

Quality over quantity any day! I totally agree with you, I think there’s a lack of originality in a lot of festive posts too in general which is a shame! x

19. December 2, 2018 / 4:59 pm

I don’t think Blogmas would ever appeal to me for some of these reasons. Like you said, it’s too overwhelming, there’s too much to do to prepare for them and I just haven’t got the energy to!

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

• December 3, 2018 / 9:24 am

That’s absolutely fair enough, it’s definitely not for everyone! x

20. Ayse
    December 2, 2018 / 6:02 pm

This is a lovely blog post and definitely something people wouldn’t expect at this time of the year, but I deffo agree that it can all feel a bit samey content wise!

21. December 2, 2018 / 7:21 pm

You know, I never even considered these things when I decided to do Blogmas. I will still do it, but I will make sure I am mindful to keep my content quality where it should be.

• December 3, 2018 / 11:49 am

I think it’s easy to get dragged into the hype without considering the work involved or any other downsides! It definitely can be a great thing though and I’ll be sure to keep up with yours as much as possible! x

22. Gemma
    December 2, 2018 / 8:07 pm

I completely understand where you’re coming from here and I definitely agree! I have done Blogmas the past two years, last year I really struggled and yes I managed to complete it, I wasn’t happy with my content. That’s why I’ve decided to do 12 Days of Blogmas. I much prefer quality over quantity, I’m happy to look forward to December and Christmas rather than worrying about Blogmas.

Gemma | http://www.anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com

• December 3, 2018 / 1:22 pm

12 days of Blogmas is such a good compromise, I’m glad you’re prioritising enjoying your Christmas over struggling to manage 24 days! x

23. December 2, 2018 / 11:10 pm

I loved this, I feel the same! I’m not doing Blogmas, and of course I’m super excited to see other bloggers do it and do a great job, but I just don’t think I would be able to do quality content for every single day, and I also don’t think I have the time haha, although I know people prepare way before, but I just don’t think I could do it! Although its so hard keeping up with all my fave bloggers with all the posts every day too :’)

• December 3, 2018 / 9:16 am

I’m so glad! I feel the same it is an awful lot of work isn’t it?x

24. December 3, 2018 / 7:35 am

love this! I’m not doing blogmas and to be honest the thought of doing it doesn’t really appeal to me, all the reasons you pointed out in this post also reaffirmed this for me haha! xx

• December 3, 2018 / 11:26 am

Thank you! I’m glad it reaffirmed what you were already thinking! x

25. December 3, 2018 / 9:29 pm

I’ve never even considered doing Blogmas as I know I would just be churning out posts I wouldn’t be happy with, for what? I couldn’t agree with you more.

• December 4, 2018 / 1:13 pm

I’m so glad you relate, I have the exact same thoughts on it x

26. December 4, 2018 / 11:03 am

I love this! The reason why I don’t do Blogmas is because I know I’ll burn out. I usually just post whenever I have time and to think about planning 24 posts is enough to make me go crazy. Not to say I don’t appreciate those who do participate in Blogmas. I’d much rather spend the festive season away from the computer tbh xx

amerzwithlove.com

• December 4, 2018 / 10:55 pm

I’m so glad! These are all such valid reasons- have a wonderful December x

27. December 4, 2018 / 12:48 pm

Girl! I feel you on several points—like the quality of posts during this mad rush and about enjoying the season with its already inherent busyness. However, that’s why we did Blog-vember—yes, ours just finished up—more purposefully and meaningfully this year. You’re so right that a lot of what we threw together last year looked like “throwaway” posts, so this year, I used the challenge to create normal length (1k words +) posts on topics that we want to either be a subject area expert in or that highlighted an affiliate product that I had wanted to write about (but just hadn’t gotten around to). In the end, out of the 3 posts a day—a video, a podcast, and a blog post—that we ended up doing, all the videos and podcasts got done and uploaded, but only 15 of the 30 blog posts got finished. I had to remind myself that it was our intention to build quality evergreen pieces this year that would be foundational in building our brand. So we got 75 posts (out of 90) done, which is 83% and we’re pretty proud of that. Our logic for doing it in November was that although it’s still a crazy busy time of year, if we did it then, we would be able to relax a little more going into the Christmas holiday and enjoy our family. But I totally get it, because I was like you at first when I realized how shameful last year’s challenge had been… Thanks for sharing.

• December 4, 2018 / 10:56 pm

Blog-vember sounds like a really good alternative. I’m all for more great content! Well done on getting that much done of the challenge you set yourself, it’s quite the achievement! x

28. December 5, 2018 / 1:16 pm

This is a really interesting approach to Blogmas, and refreshingly honest. I definitely think a lot of people are lured in by the potential for more traffic but, as you say, it’s not going to last. I must admit, I was concerned about the quality of Blogmas content, which is why I started planning and writing a while ago. Even some of the things I’ve come back to, I’ve realised weren’t as good as I thought, and been able to tweak. It’s a lot of content to get out there, and quality definitely suffers in some places.

• December 5, 2018 / 9:01 pm

Thank you! It’s great that you started planning a while ago- I’m sure it will be evident in your content! If even you who pre-planned have struggled a little then it just shows how difficult those who haven’t planned will find it! x