10 Acts of Kindness You Should Carry Out This Christmas

10 Acts of Kindness You Should Carry Out This Christmas

Christmas is a time for giving, and what better way is there than by carrying out more acts of kindness. Although this time of year is full of fun and festivities for a large number of us, there are also people who find it a struggle. Here are 10 simple acts of kindness which you can carry out to spread the Christmas spirit.

Donate to Your Local Food Bank

At this time of year food banks are used even more. With the amount of food that we end up wasting over the Christmas period, it’s unfair that anyone should go hungry. A lot of us spend an obscene amount of money on our own Christmas food. Pick up a few extra items and drop them off at the food bank collection point on the way out of the store. It’s unlikely you’ll notice those few extra pounds, but they’ll make a world of difference to a family in need.

Skip The Christmas Cards

We spend so much money and waste so many trees by sending out Christmas cards. This one may seem a little counter-intuitive, surely not sending out Christmas cards isn’t kind? Well, it is if you buy some treats for the office and donate the rest of what you would have spent instead. E-cards are also a great alternative.

But if You Are Sending Them… Send The Spare to Those in Need

If you’re hell-bent on sending cards (or have already bought them) then make sure to send them to the lonely. There are a lot of local campaigns at this time of year run by hospitals, charities or nursing homes which appeal for Christmas cards to be sent to those in danger of being lonely, or just those in need of a little extra love this year. If you can’t find any (or you’ve missed the deadline) then send your spare to local charities letting them know what a good job they’re doing and that they’re appreciated.

Pay it Forward

I’m always touched by those who go out of their way to give someone the extra few hours on their car parking ticket or a money off voucher that they won’t have the chance to use. In Waitrose recently, a lady passed me a ‘£4 off when you spend £40 voucher’. Every little helps, and I was able to donate more to the food bank as a result. There are many little gestures you can make which will only take moments of your time but will help someone else.

Christmas Kindness

Shop Locally

From Christmas gifting to food to the decorations you put up; buy locally where possible. My dress is from StyleFairy Boutique,  a fashion start-up run by the lovely Lauren. I can guarantee that buying your Christmas outfit from Lauren or a similar small brand will put a smile on a face, which can’t be said when shopping from big brands.

Check in on Your Local Shelter

Give your local homeless shelter a google. At this time of year, they’re usually requesting specific items that you can donate. Mine, for example, is in need of Christmas decorations, second-hand clothing, food and toiletries. None of these cost a lot and donating comfy and practical clothes that you no longer wear will help you with your new year clear out too.

Give Charity Gifts

A charity gift is perfect for anyone who has recently watched and been left heartbroken by Dynasties. If you’re stuck on a gift or are in need of something extra then adopt a penguin in the recipients’ name through WWF; it’s a win-win.

Share & Buy From Your Favourite Gift Guides

At this time of year, almost every blogger will have worked hard on pulling together the perfect gift guide. There are plenty to choose from and there is one for everyone too. If you’ve benefitted from any, make sure you reward all the hard work by buying through affiliate links. If you’ve found inspiration for your own list to Santa then share the post around to your loved ones; even a few more post and page views will be appreciated.

Christmas Kindness

Be Mindful

Many people have lost someone close to them over previous Winters. While its a happy time for many of us, Christmas can also serve as an unpleasant reminder. If this makes you think of someone close to you, then be mindful of them at this time of year. Show them some extra love by sending some flowers or getting them a memorial bauble to let them know that you remembered and you’re there for them.

Put Yourself Forward as The Designated Driver

Save everyone the danger of reckless driving, or even just a taxi fare. You’ll be doing your good deed and will also be saving yourself a hangover and alcohol money!

1. December 13, 2018 / 6:24 pm

This is such a lovely post. I don’t give nearly as much as I should to charity during this time of year. However, I do love to shop locally, I love supporting local brands! Something I’m definitely going to be doing this Christmas too is be more mindful. I’ve been away from my family for nearly 4 months now, so reuniting with them over Christmas will truly make me appreciate my loved ones. Loved this post x

Evie x | https://eviejayne.co.uk

• December 14, 2018 / 10:05 pm

Thank you! I think we could all do a little more, but its great that you shop locally! It will be lovely for you to catch up with your family, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! x

2. December 13, 2018 / 8:20 pm

Love this Soph! Christmas has became a holiday with a big attention to presents, and I feel like it’s not so much about doing kind acts or showing appreciation anymore. Like some of my friends make it sound like a competition when they talk about getting expensive presents. Doing more kind acts for someone else than yourself should be something everyone should prioritize at Christmas! Great post xx

• December 15, 2018 / 10:51 am

Thank you! I totally agree, I love seeing what other people got for Christmas but I can definitely see it becoming more and more a comparison game which is sad. I’m so glad you think so too x

3. December 13, 2018 / 9:08 pm

YES YES YES to all this! Being mindful and paying it forward are two things that I’ve been working on a lot recently and no matter how small the act is, it definitely goes a long way in the long run!

Happy holidays, Soph!

cabin twenty-four

• December 15, 2018 / 10:54 am

I couldn’t agree more, have a great Christmas lovely! x

4. December 14, 2018 / 2:21 pm

This is a lovely post and so important to do at least one of these things at this time! I remember last year at work we put together a little shoebox of gifts to send to children who don’t get to have a Christmas like we do. It’s always great to shop locally too, small businesses work so hard and deserve sales and recognition!

• December 15, 2018 / 10:56 am

Thank you, I completely agree. Thats such a lovely idea. I know it’s easy to get caught up in price comparisons online and shopping for convenience but going out of the way to look for a local seller is such a nice thing to do when we have time! x

5. December 14, 2018 / 7:49 pm

These are some lovely ideas. I’ll be donating to my local food shelter and I think treats for my colleagues will be a great change to Christmas cards. Love that idea.

• December 15, 2018 / 11:01 am

I’m glad you think so! I’m sure it will all be much appreciated! x

6. December 14, 2018 / 8:32 pm

I love this post. Everyone is so excessive at this time of year. Whether it’s overdoing it with the food or extravagant gifts, it’s really important to remember not everyone has that option and give back/ check in. I really appreciate the sentiment behind this one. Lovely post x

• December 15, 2018 / 11:04 am

Thank you! I couldn’t agree more x

7. December 14, 2018 / 8:41 pm

I absolutely adored this post! While most of us love Christmas we do sometimes forget that it can be a very lonely and upsetting time for some people and this has really made me think about what I could do to help so thank you so much for sharing! All the Christmas chocolates people send to us at work get split between the staff and whatever we don’t want we’ve decided to give to the homeless because we know they’ll appreciate it a lot more!

• December 15, 2018 / 11:08 am

Thank you! I’m so glad its made you think about what you can do too. I feel awful for the homeless at this time of year- its so cold and I can barely walk around outside for a little while, I can’t imagine what it must be like to have nowhere else to go. Donating to them is definitely worthwhile! x

8. December 14, 2018 / 10:00 pm

Such easy ways to give back over Christmas. great post xx

9. December 15, 2018 / 12:12 am

Lovely read. I think it’s important to be mindful of others and what you can do for them.

10. December 15, 2018 / 1:58 am

This is such a thoughtful post! We often don’t think about the consequences of our actions, even if on the surface they appear good. Like the Santa charity run through London… seems great but actually they throw away all the Santa suits afterwards. Such a huge waste. Thanks for spreading such a good message this Xmas xx

• December 15, 2018 / 11:16 am

I’m glad you think so. I had no idea about that- that level of waste is crazy. I’ve always been very sceptical of children shoe box appeals too- I’d love to give presents to those who have much less than us but I know that people like Samaritans have had a lot of negative press regarding religious propaganda. It’s definitely a tough one! x

11. December 15, 2018 / 6:28 am

I love these ideas for acts of kindness. Sometimes, it doesn’t take much to be kind or do a kind favor. YESSSS on less waste! I am trying to use less paper these days and we can make an impact with one card at a time. Oooh, shopping locally goes a long way. It helps small businesses stay alive and they have good selections too! Thanks so much for sharing these warming vibes.

• December 17, 2018 / 6:13 pm

Thank you! I totally agree, some acts of kindness are super easy but mean the world to others. I’m so glad you liked them x

12. December 15, 2018 / 9:25 am

I love your ideas and I hope more people will follow at least a few. I will difinitely donate to shelters, like I always do.
    Have a lovely weekend!

• December 17, 2018 / 6:19 pm

Than you, I hope so too! x

13. December 15, 2018 / 3:10 pm

A wonderful, inspiring post Sophie. Lovely ideas on how to be kind his season. I’ve tried to shop locally for gifts this time after becoming more conscious throughout this year. I agree, cards are so silly and such a waste of money, not to mention the trees! I often send E-cards to my family which they always like! I’m the designated driver for tonight so I’m doing my bit!

Lovely post and pics. x

Samantha | thebeautyspyglass.com

• December 17, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Thank you! I’ve got quite a few bits locally and it’s so good to hear that you send e-cards and that they’re met with a good reception! Well done on being designated driver!x

14. December 16, 2018 / 10:57 am

This is such a cute idea for a post (and gorgeous pictures)! I used to be really big on Christmas cards but I’ve taken a step back due to environmental reasons. Also I’m definitely going to research my local food banks and give some food!

Jas xx | https://thoughtsfromjasmine.co.uk

• December 17, 2018 / 6:47 pm

Thank you! Thats good to hear- I think we’re all becoming more environmentally aware which is great x

15. Gemma
    December 16, 2018 / 12:19 pm

This is such a lovely post! Definitely given me some things to think about. I think we should definitely be more thankful and friendly to strangers, there’s such a good feeling from it. I think we sometimes forget about those who are lonely on Christmas, this has made me think about how to help. Even if it’s something like a small gesture as sending Christmas cards, that would hopefully mean a lot to them.

Gemma | https://anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com/

• December 17, 2018 / 7:05 pm

Thank you. I’m so glad that its given you food for thought and I completely agree x

16. December 16, 2018 / 4:13 pm

This is a great idea for a post. Hopefully it will encourage people to be more mindful and less wasteful this year. I can see that you’ve put a lot of thought into these tips. This time of year is hard for a lot of people and if more of us did these things it would definitely help those struggling.

Nicola

• December 17, 2018 / 7:11 pm

17. December 16, 2018 / 4:56 pm

This is such a beautiful post! Loved it. 🙂 Christmas is truly a time to give and share love. Thank you!

18. December 16, 2018 / 10:13 pm

This is such a lovely post, at this time of year it’s so important to give back and think of our impact on others and the environment! Some great tips! xx Naomi

• December 18, 2018 / 9:44 am

Thank you, I totally agree! x

19. December 17, 2018 / 4:39 pm

This is such a lovely post Soph with so many thoughtful ideas! Donating to the local food bank is such a great idea, we all buy so much at Christmas, I’m sure many of us wouldn’t even notice a few extra bits going to those in need. Being mindful is such an important one as well, it can be such a lonely time of year for those people who have lost loved ones, sending flowers is such a sweet gesture. Thank you so much for sharing these kind suggestions, also just wanted to say your dress is so pretty – you look gorgeous! <3 xx

• December 18, 2018 / 9:51 am

Thank you! I make sure to donate at often as I can but you’re totally right- Christmas shops are always so expensive so many of us wouldn’t even notice the extra few bits going to the bank and it might help cut down on our own waste too- everyone seems to go a little crazy with food over Christmas don’t they? Thank you lovely! x

20. December 18, 2018 / 1:42 pm

Such a lovely post! I love all the ideas you’ve mentioned and your pictures are so beautiful! x

21. December 19, 2018 / 4:10 pm

This is such a lovely, thought-provoking post. I was actually thinking of how I’d love to do some more acts of kindness this Christmas yesterday (after I gave away my Ariana Grande presale code, resulting in a random 8 year old girl’s Christmas being made!!), so this list couldn’t have come at a better time.

Lexie x

• December 19, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Thank you, I’m so glad you think so! Aw that was so sweet of you to do, and I hope it gave you the inspiration you needed x

22. December 19, 2018 / 9:49 pm

These are amazing ideas for giving back to those in need at Christmas, everyone should read this post and take a lot from it and some ideas of how they themselves can do a good deed at Christmas! xx

• December 19, 2018 / 10:18 pm

Thank you, I’m so glad you think so! x

23. December 19, 2018 / 9:57 pm

What a wonderful post! Christmas is a great opportunity to remind ourselves of the kindness we should show to others. The acts of kindness you have shared are so wonderful!

• December 19, 2018 / 10:20 pm

I completely agree, thank you! x

24. December 19, 2018 / 10:00 pm

Loved this post so much! It’s so important to be kind during Christmas, you never know what others are going through. I personally donate a lot of old clothes to shelters, knowing they’ll be loved there. ❤️

amerzwithlove.com

• December 19, 2018 / 10:23 pm

Thank you, I completely agree! That’s such a great thing to do x

25. December 19, 2018 / 10:51 pm

Great list! I love when people pay it forward – I’m going to do that at the next opportunity I think!

• December 20, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Thank you! It’s such a nice thing to do isn’t it x

26. December 19, 2018 / 11:11 pm

I love this… I hope everyone does something for at least one other person outside of what is expected this holiday season. I’ve taken on the darker side of things you can do to help someone this Christmas on my blog (for those grieving etc). It is nice to see all sides tackled! – RNSoul.com

• December 20, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Thank you! I think it’s so important to spread awareness of this kind of thing x

27. December 20, 2018 / 12:40 am

I love the skip the Christmas cards advise. As you mentioned, we spend so much money and waste so many trees by sending out Christmas cards. This year I opted for e-cards that are so much faster to send.

• December 20, 2018 / 8:50 pm

Thank you, e-cards are better than real cards in so many ways so its great that you’ve opted for them this year! x

28. December 20, 2018 / 1:51 pm

Love these ideas. It’s important we stay focused on GIVING!!!!

• December 20, 2018 / 8:55 pm