2018 Highlights | The Year In Review

2018 Highlights | The Year In Review

Its the cliché thing to say at the beginning of a new year, but 2018 really did fly by. Deconstructing the year just gone and appreciating the best parts of it is something that many of us like to do. So I thought I’d share my own highlights of 2018. This post is very much for my own benefit and one which I’ll look back on. It’s also full of recommendations and inspiration for ways in which to fill your own 2019.

The Years Best Books

Last year I made a resolution to read more. I made a conscious effort and did get through more books than the year before, but still got nowhere near what I would have read when I was younger. The only books I would really recommend out of those I read throughout 2018 are as follows:

The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman & Sophie Hannah thrillers. You can follow me on Goodreads for more in-depth reviews and to nosey at the ones I didn’t like quite so much.

Aqua Sana Spa Experiences | JANUARY, MAY, OCTOBER

Aqua Sana Spa Stay 2018

At the beginning of 2018 I spoke about the importance of new year Spa stays. Throughout the year I visited Aqua Sana, Centre Parcs 3 times and have booked another luxury spa break for February (I’ll definitely be branching out and trying other spa’s this year too). As Winnie the Pooh so eloquently puts it: ‘doing nothing often leads to the very best of something’ and during 2018, time out proved invaluable to me.

Aqua Sana Spa Stay

A Week in Ikos Olivia, Halkidiki | APRIL

Halikidiki 2018

I took my second trip to Halkidiki, Greece this April. Although I can’t pretend I’ve experienced any of the Greek culture, the 5* Ikos resorts there are outstanding, and the Olivia is definitely the better of the two. An ultra-all-inclusive, with everything from meals in their five a la carte restaurants to activities and room service all covered. The Olivia has various bars, a private beach and the most friendly and attentive staff. If you’re looking for a place to unwind in the sun, this one is a (relatively) nearby paradise.

Halikidiki 2018

Time Spent in London | FEBRUARY, JUNE, DECEMBER

The Ivy 2018

In February we travelled down to London for the day to do little more than eat and browse. Jamie had bought us (surprise) tickets for the London Zoo, but it was bitterly cold so we decided against the idea. We had a great day regardless and from it I can recommend a trip to the Ivy in Kensington (more on that here).

June Highlights 2018

In June we kicked off a long weekend in London at Beyonce and Jay Z’s On The Run tour. There’s so much to do in the city that every time we visit for the day we find ourselves rushing around and still running out of time. Staying for a few nights made all of the difference and a refreshing change. Our trip was well rounded off eating Disney themed treats at the Kensington (more on that here).

A Tale As Old As Time 2018

Pumpkin Picking | OCTOBER

2018 Highlights

At the grand age of 23 I finally found myself at a pumpkin patch and wasn’t disappointed. Not only does Undley pumpkin patch make the experience into more of an event (think food stalls and activities for kids) there’s also something nice about shopping locally and picking straight from the patch itself.

Trips to The North Norfolk Coast | SUMMER & OCTOBER

Sunny days at the coast were a highlight of the early Summer. I love the coast, but its considerably less enjoyable when a trip means contending with miles of traffic, parking spot wars and screaming children. We were very lucky with the weather throughout a period of the early Summer, so it was throughout this time that Jamie and I made the most of Wells while kids were still at school.

October Seals 2018

The seals at Horsey beach tend to have their pups from October through to February. If you enjoy marine life, seal spotting is a wonderful (and free) way to appreciate these gorgeous animals in their natural environment. Walking along the beach and admiring the few little pups was worth the rather stressful road-trip that led us there.

Festive Trips | NOVEMBER, DECEMBER

Throughout the later months of 2018 we enjoyed looking out for the best Christmas decorations. The most festive places we visited were; Lavenham, which is small but beautifully decorated; Norwich, which hosts a tunnel of light alongside some other lovely festive features and will always feel like home; and London.

2018 Highlights

The Years Best Films

Jamie and I visited the cinema a lot throughout the year. We saw so many films but the following are my favourite of them all (in order of release).

Black Panther and Avengers Infinity War make the cut on the basis that I find Marvel movies more enjoyable to watch at the cinema. Both were full of drama and Black Panther has an impressive soundtrack.

Oceans 8 lands a spot for an impeccably well cast group of strong and diverse female leads.

Christopher Robin was one the most touching films I saw throughout the year, a true Disney classic brought to life: I was always going to love it.

Venom exceeded my expectations, despite the relationships within the film being a little too quick-paced for my liking. Tom Hardy made the movie for me and I’m constantly impressed by his ability to play any role convincingly.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald made this list because despite poor reviews, I thought this was far better than the first. I felt a stronger connection to Hogwarts and the Harry Potter films in this one, and the magical elements were more impressive.

1. January 10, 2019 / 5:14 pm

Pumpkin picking was definitely a highlight for me too! I’ve never properly done it before and to capture the pictures with a friend was one of my favourite things to do!

I hope 2019 is an amazing year for you!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

• January 10, 2019 / 6:04 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, same to you lovely! x

2. January 10, 2019 / 5:15 pm

Wow, what an amazing year Soph! I remember seeing your Halkidiki photos on Insta and thought it looked gorgeous, I’d love to visit someday, I love Greece. That’s so exciting that you have a spa break booked for February, my sister and I have booked one in March for her 30th which we are looking forward to. Thank you for the book recommendations too, I really want to read more this year, so I’ll have to head over to your Goodreads at some point. Fab post and beautiful photos, as always, here’s to an awesome 2019! <3 xx

• January 10, 2019 / 6:09 pm

Thank you! I couldn’t recommend the resort enough, and I’d love to see more of Greece too. You can’t beat a good spa day can you? Good luck in reading more books, it’s something I’m working on too x

3. January 10, 2019 / 5:16 pm

You’ve had a very fun and successful year! I love that you’ve been on a few spa breaks, it’s so important to take some time out to relax. Your photos from Greece look amazing too, I hope you had a great time.

Eve | http://www.evemorganinteriors.com

• January 10, 2019 / 6:12 pm

Thank you! I only really got into Spa breaks last year but am a full convent! Greece was wonderful, I definitely did thank you x

• January 10, 2019 / 6:15 pm

Thank you, I definitely did have a good one and I’m glad you think so! Have a wonderful 2019! x

4. January 10, 2019 / 5:23 pm

I really want to do the Beauty & The Beast afternoon tea! It sounds so so cool! I have never been to Greece but I really want to go. I loved Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine!

• January 11, 2019 / 1:26 pm

It was pricey but such a lovely experience! I can definitely recommend the Olivia if you ever plan to, it’s stunning. It was such a popular book last year wasn’t it? But worth the hype.

5. January 10, 2019 / 5:33 pm

You had such a great year! I love seeing posts like this. It makes me smile❤️❤️ As for the films of 2018, I still need to catch up on those! Your trips look like you had a splendid time!

• January 11, 2019 / 4:22 pm

I love them too! There were some great releases this year but we do watch quite a lot haha! Have a fab 2019! x

6. January 10, 2019 / 5:43 pm

Sounds like you had a lovely year. I enjoyed reading your post, and looking at your lovely pictures.
    I wish you happy and successful 2019!

• January 11, 2019 / 4:08 pm

I did, thank you! I’m so glad, and the same to you! x

7. January 10, 2019 / 5:44 pm

This is such a lovely recap. I remember reading posts about almost all of these things too. I read another review of The Woman in the Window last week which was extremely positive as well. I think I’m going to have to pick it up. I hope 2019 is full of even more amazing experiences x

• January 11, 2019 / 4:02 pm

Thank you! I’m a big fan of easy to read thrillers and this one did have some good twists in it! Thank you, lets both have a great one! x

8. January 10, 2019 / 5:52 pm

Loved this post! Christopher Robin was one of my favourite films of the year too. I’ve never been to a spa although it’s definitely on my bucket list, I think I’d really enjoy it and I really want to go to Norfolk now to see if we can spot some seals too, that picture is adorable! I totally agree that when you go to London there never seems to be enough time to do everything, I’m hoping to go this year with my Mom for a theatre trip and we might plan some more things for while we’re there, I’d love to do the sky garden.

• January 11, 2019 / 3:53 pm

Thank you! You can’t go wrong with Disney! I’d definitely recommend doing both if you get the chance! That sounds like a great plan, the Sky Garden is on my list too, I just never seem to book it early enough haha! x

9. January 10, 2019 / 6:21 pm

Your year sounds amazing! So jealous of the spa breaks it’s so important to take time for yourself and relax!

• January 11, 2019 / 3:33 pm

Thank you, I couldn’t agree more. I only really got into going to the Spa last year so definitely made up for lost time! x

10. January 10, 2019 / 6:59 pm

Sounds like you have had a great 2018! Halikidi sounds lovely, its a place I would love to visit! How cute is that seal?! Oh, and that beauty and the beast afternoon tea 😍
    Love a good year round up post!

Aimsy xoxo

• January 11, 2019 / 3:26 pm

I did, thank you! I can definitely recommend the Olivia, I couldn’t fault it. Thank you! x

11. January 10, 2019 / 9:04 pm

Looks like you had an amazing year <3 Seal spotting is such a cute idea, I love the picture, they're absolutely adorable! I am still yet to go to a pumpkin patch.. perhaps this year will be the one! 🙂

• January 11, 2019 / 3:18 pm

I did, thank you! I love them and really enjoy taking a day to go and see them! I’d really recommend finding one that holds an event like food stalls- it gives the place a really fun vibe! x

12. January 10, 2019 / 9:40 pm

Omg that seal is beautiful. I really enjoyed this post hun x

• January 11, 2019 / 3:14 pm

I love seals, they’re just adorable aren’t they?! Thanks, I’m so glad! x

13. January 10, 2019 / 10:24 pm

So many lovely highlights from your year, I really enjoyed pumpkin picking this year too as last years parch was such a let down!! X

• January 11, 2019 / 1:20 pm

Thank you, oh its such a shame when something doesn’t meet your expectations! I’m glad 2018’s patch was better for you! x

• January 11, 2019 / 3:09 pm

It was a good one! SO many people seem to be disappointed by it, but I really enjoyed it! x

14. January 11, 2019 / 5:03 am

I can say the same about 2018 flying by!! Even though you didn’t read as much as before, at least you made the effort to make it a habit. It is great that you treated yourself to some nice self-care spa days. Pretty cool that you got to travel to all sorts of places too! I feel teh same when it comes to Christmas decorations. They’re so nice to admire! Marvel doe a great job with their movies. Glad 2018 went well for you overall. Hope 2019 will be a blast!

• January 11, 2019 / 1:43 pm

I am glad I made an effort and hopefully I’ll beat 2018’s book record this year! I don’t think you can ever have enough travel or spa days haha! Thanks Nancy, have a great one too! x

15. January 11, 2019 / 11:00 am

What a lovely post! Looks like you had a great year and visited some fab places. You two are such a cute couple and how sweet that he surprised you with a trip to the Zoo. Bet the Beyoncé Jay z was amazing! Wouldn’t of minded that myself. Hope 2019 is an equally fabulous year for you! x

Samantha | https://thebeautyspyglass.com

• January 11, 2019 / 1:33 pm

Thank you! I definitely did, he always has the best intentions even if they don’t quite plan out right! Thank you, fingers crossed it’s a good one for both of us! x

16. January 13, 2019 / 5:28 pm

I love this round up of 2018! I read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and I loved the story! The seal in that one picture is so cute, I absolutely love seals! xx

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

• January 13, 2019 / 7:31 pm

Thank you! It was definitely a popular read for last year wasn’t it?! I adore them too x

17. January 14, 2019 / 12:22 am

You had a wonderful year of travelling! I was keen to see those Christmassy locations around London especially the ones in covent garden. May you have a fun and happy 2019!

• January 15, 2019 / 2:38 pm

Not as much as I’d hoped, but it was definitely enjoyable! London does Christmas so well doesn’t it? x

18. January 14, 2019 / 10:16 am

Sounds like you had an amazing year! All your pictures are so beautiful! Have a fab 2019 x

New Lune | http://new-lune.com

• January 15, 2019 / 6:57 pm

I did thank you! You too! x

19. January 14, 2019 / 11:19 am

Glad to see you had such an amazing year! Admittedly I’ve never actually been to a spa, this is just making me book one even more this year with my besties x

• January 15, 2019 / 6:59 pm

Thanks so much! I only really got into them last year to be honest as I always just thought of them as a waste of money. Getting away from home and into a nice relaxing neutral area and having some alone time honestly makes me feel so much better in myself- I really hope you find the experience as good as I do! x

20. January 14, 2019 / 12:53 pm

Your 2018 seems to be so beautifully spent. I love all your travel locations and your dresses! 🙂

All the best for 2019!

• January 15, 2019 / 2:20 pm

Thank you! I didn’t travel quite as much as I’d have liked to, but the travel I did have was wonderful x

21. January 14, 2019 / 6:53 pm

Oh my god, it seems like you had such a good year! That Beauty and the Beast afternoon tea looks so cute, and I hope you had the best time seeing Beyonce. Here’s to 2019 xx

Hannah | luxuryblush

• January 15, 2019 / 7:03 pm

I certainly can’t complain! Both were such wonderful experiences! Have a great one! x

22. January 14, 2019 / 8:53 pm

I loved this post! It looks like you had such a lovely year, the spa trips look gorgeous and definitely something i’d love to do this year! All the best for 2019 x

Lily Loves | http://www.lilyloves.net/

• January 15, 2019 / 8:48 pm

Thank you, I did! I couldn’t recommend taking some time out to fit in some Spa days enough! Enjoy x

23. Melissa Kacar
    January 15, 2019 / 6:29 am

It sounds like it was a great year! Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year! 🙂

melissakacar.blogspot.com

• January 15, 2019 / 8:51 pm

Thank you! Have a great one x

24. January 15, 2019 / 3:05 pm

Sounds like a fantastic year! Absolutely loved your pictures in this post.
    I think the fact your put your fave books and movies in the post was such a good idea.

Amy x

• January 15, 2019 / 8:57 pm

Thank you! I’m so glad, I love seeing which other people have enjoyed so hopefully the recommendations will prove helpful! x